Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donation wallhanging >

Donation wallhanging

Donation wallhanging

Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM

I agree with Thimblebug6000's response. However, if you really don't want to do the wallhanging just say "I regret I will be unable to participate this year" and leave it at that.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Banned

If i m concerned about what the donation will bring I don't donate. Few yrs ago I regularly donated to a local cause. I never knew what the item sold for, then one year I discovered my items were given as door prizes. I told the organization I didn't make door prizes and have never donated again. So, if you have concerns then do what you need to do to remove the concerns. You will be a happier quilter.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 AM

I think it comes down to what has been discussed on this board before; the general population does not have a clue of the money and time that goes into a quilted item. It can be very frustrating to donate something and then it go for next to nothing. I was asked to donate a quilt for a high school band auction, but I am going to make a wall hanging or mondo bag instead, as they will probably bring almost as much money as a small quilt and less expense and work for me. Quilting is from the heart, and so when it is for a good cause I just can't let myself think about how cheap things are purchased for, or I would never be able to donate again. Raffling a quilt is the way to get the money out of a quilt. Our guild raffles a group made quilt each year at our County fair. Depending on the quilt and the crowd, we always make between 500 and 1,000. Because our guild does a lot of service projects like American Hero Quilts, people are very generous in buying tickets.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 AM

My experience with church auctions is that they bring in good money. I still remember the Lemon Pies that sold for over $50.00 and they had more than one.
I would ask for a donation slip for the cost of what I had in it- take it off my taxes.

Also- I remember that if a certain person made something- it went higher. Everyone wanted the Sunday School Teacher's quilt she made. Very Plain scrappy quilt but the saying on the label went something like this- You are wrapped in God's love. This was usually one of the highest items in the auction.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
If i m concerned about what the donation will bring I don't donate. Few yrs ago I regularly donated to a local cause. I never knew what the item sold for, then one year I discovered my items were given as door prizes. I told the organization I didn't make door prizes and have never donated again. So, if you have concerns then do what you need to do to remove the concerns. You will be a happier quilter.
Shame on that organization. This is just plain wrong! So sorry you had to experience this.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM

It certainly is difficult when asked to donate an item - I guess when a person does donate they have to just "let it go" and not be upset if the item doesn't bring a big price. Easier said than done though.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I've had trouble posting the picture, so I'm just going with the text version. I've been asked to donate a wallhanging for a community Christmas bazaar, and I don't typically like to do that, only because I feel like I'm giving them a$100 bill and they raffle it off for $50. But I was asked at church, and felt it would be very Grinch-like to say no. My question is - is there a tactful way to tell them not to let it go in a raffle for $35, or is that just rude? If it's a silent auction and they don't get what I think it's worth, I'll just outbid and take it back. Or should I just suck it up and let them get whatever they get? Any thoughts? ( It's an Art or Heart pattern "Jolly Old Saint Nick" - I used three Santa's instead of 9 and made it a wallhanging .)
If I donate something that is no going for what I think it's worth, I'll raise the bid and take it back home. Done it more than once. I'm smart enough to know I'm still getting a good deal if I buy back a $25 angel pillow for $10. Been there, done that.

OTOH----------church or not, you still have the right to say no, if you really want to say no.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM

A lot depends on how the fund raiser is handled.
I've attended several where there is a listed starting bid that is most likely what would be considered the "wholesale" value of the item. ie. Somewhat less than the suggested retail price, but in our terms at least the cost of the materials involved.

There have also been ones where there was an across the board minimum bid that therefore allowed some items to go for way more than actual value and others to go for much less.

In my experience, a raffle where tickets are sold for whatever price is determined by the committee and tickets are drawn for a series of progressively greater value items will almost always raise more than an auction (either regular or silent) style fund raiser.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 AM

If I donate something for a charity auction of any kind, I tell them my estimated value. I also ask for a receipt for my donation. That way no matter what they get for it, you get a tax write off in the amount of your estimated value. I don't think that's tacky. I think it's practical. It is hard to see something that you spent a lot of time and energy on go for $50. That's one of the reasons I don't do charity quilts often.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
It certainly is difficult when asked to donate an item - I guess when a person does donate they have to just "let it go" and not be upset if the item doesn't bring a big price. Easier said than done though.
I agree, once you donate the item, it isn't yours anymore. What the organization does with it (low price, door prize, raffle, bundle with other items) is no longer your control.

For the record, I have seen gift cards (like $100 for a spa day) go for 1/4 of retail price, so it isn't just quilts. You just have to have the right people in the room for auction prices to go high.