Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY?? >

Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY??

Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY??

Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 PM

I made a quilt from 2 panels, one side was Spiderman, the other side was from the Cars movie. I quilted each of them separately with just a batting, then put them together as one quilt. My grandson loves it! It was small enough that I didn't worry about securing the two different sides together. It hasn't presented a problem yet.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM

your bargello quilt is beautiful
Old 10-04-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
I'd like to do a reversible quilt without using QAYG. I'd like to quilt the back and the front onto separate battings and then join them together somehow. One side would be a fairly heavily quilted "traditional" sampler quilt -- with different quilting motifs in each block. The other side would use leftover pieces in the same colorway but be more "modern" looking with minimal quilting. The only way I can think of for doing this is to quilt each side onto its own batting and then put the battings together somehow -- maybe using fusible web or tacking them together unobtrusively so they won't shift. But, I'm concerned that 2 battings would make this too thick and the result too heavy since this would wind up as a generous twin size quilt.

Has anyone done something like this? How? Did it work? What batting did you use? etc.etc.

Thank you in advance for your ideas -- or for warning me off!
I used Thrmore light batting, a fine netting for the backing and Misty fuse between. I did a small piece to try it out and it was fine.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM

This is a fascinating thread. I have been contemplating doing a two sided quilt for my DGD wedding. One side DWR and the other to be determined. Why? You may ask. When I asked her what colors she would want she said that she was going to do Black, Grey and White in her bedroom. Unfortunately, the fabric that I bought on line turned out to be Black, Tan and While. (Thought the tan was gold. So much for online purchases.) Anyway, I am going with what I have. I am doing the Black, Tan and While rings on black background as she has a black cat that she lets sleep on her bed. Not a problem. Plan to make the cat his own quilt pad to sleep on. However, his fur gets on everything. Ask me how I know.

So why the back to back? I thought that I would do something with more color on the other side just for a change. Summer - Winter or such. I don't have much time and just started the DWR using Eleanor Burns DWR Neavoux plan. Lofty plans for a not-to-great quilter. Anyway, I loved this thread. It brought up ideas that I had not even considered.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I think I would try a small sample of the process you trying to do. I also think Warm & Natural for both bats would be the answer. You might try using a medium weight interfacing for the backing of each then you could sandwich them together with bar tacking. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:41 PM

Update from Teri D. I wound up deciding that I didn't want to overthink this by trying a double batting and obsessing about how the back would look. Well, actually, I decided that I wanted the quilt DONE.......(!!!)

So, I did a pieced backing (per the Craftsy class) with "improvisational blocks" and then just sandwiched the quilt and treated it like a "regular" quilt. The challenging part was laying out the sandwich to assure that the back was squared up straight in relation to the top so it didn't shift and wind up "wonky". I quilted as usual from the front and, since it was a sampler, there were a variety of quilting motifs. I was afraid that it would look very weird on the back to have no relationship between the quilting and the design -- but it doesn't. In fact, I've had several folks tell me that the back is more interesting because the quilting DOESN'T follow the blocks -- the front is a very traditional sampler and the back is more like a Mondrian piece.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 PM

I would like to see pictures of the finished, please.