Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downloading embroidery patterns to use for quilting. >

Downloading embroidery patterns to use for quilting.

Downloading embroidery patterns to use for quilting.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Downloading embroidery patterns to use for quilting.

I've been trying to download a pattern, a paisley outline to use with my Janome machine to quilt in the hoop. The store states it is the format I need among others. I've loaded it to my flash drive, put it in the right folder, but so far can't get the machine to recognize it. I successfully load patterns from Janome this way. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 AM

It may be in a zipped file. If so, you need to unzip it before your machine can recognize the design.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM

If you can, go back to the source and download it again. Sometimes, for some reason, they don't download right. Do you have a way to change the format of the design? If so maybe get a different format and then change it to the one you want.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM

Do you have the right size hoop on you machine, usually if it doesn't recognize its due to the hoop size
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM

I have had that problem also. I was told that the design I purchased was digitized by a newer program and may need an upgrade on my machine. Don't know how/where to get the upgrade so I am out of luck and can't use the design.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM

There are many sites with helpful info on downloading designs. This may not be your issue, but one thing I learned early on with downloading, saving, opening, copying the files, and using the design is that the process of embroidering has an order to it. Once I got the gist of downloading, saving, transfering and the actual embroidering, I went and purchased EQ Stitch. There went my files! The program switched all my .jpeg and .pes files to have the computer open them in EQStitch instead of Design Gallery. I didn't want to always use EQStitch; I wanted to go right to the machine without designing any blocks or quilts or editing. So I had to go into my default programs and change my .pes back to open in the Designers Gallery program and change how my jpeg files opened. Sometimes, downloading software or updating IE or Firefox, those default programs have changed and I need to go in and change them back.
Here are a couple of links that have a lot of info on design file downloading.

http://embroidery.marthapullen.com/d...ing-help-hints
http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/help.aspx?page=helptoobig

I hope you find your answer. When you do, will you let us what your solution was?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM

I also have a Janome embroidery machine. Make sure you are downloading .sew or .jef I have the digitizer program so I can also download .jan
When you transfer it to a flash drive, make sure it is a small flash drive. Less than a gig if you can find it. Put only that design on the drive. The sewing machine is not as complicated a computer as your pc. It can't handle hunting for your design in a pile of files. Hope this helps. Ann
Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 AM

Wahoo, thank you all for your help. I've spent most of the morning, trying to figure it out. Admittedly I get muddled and confused! The problem was indeed the zip files needed to be unzipped. I downloaded it to my old desktop, which has a wizard to extract zip files. I need a wizard, for sure, lol. I've transferred my paisley pattern, plus a few free designs, to my 1 gb. flash drive, and my machine recognizes them, so I didn't waste my money on the first design I've purchased. Bye, gotta go quilt. Y'all are the best! Think spring.