Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt. >

Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM

Smile Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Hello everyone,
I am new here, and very new to quilting (as in, I have never made one yet!). In 2012, my father passed away, and I've just decided that some quilts made from his sweaters (he LOVED sweaters) would be a great way to honor and remember him. I want to make sure I do this right, because they will likely be the most important thing I ever sew!! So - I have a number of questions and greatly appreciate any and all advice! I need to make 6 quilts so that everyone who wants one can have one, so my questions are as follows:
  1. What dimensions do you recommend for a lap/couch sized quilt?
  2. Can I use both sweater material (in varying percentages of wool) and button up shirt material together in the same quilt? I feel like the different textures might be a really neat effect, but wonder how to approach lining/backing? My father had a ton of sweaters, but not enough for 6 quilts! He had matching button up shirts to go with these sweaters that would then fit nicely into the color palette so it seems right to use them also, if it's possible...
  3. From tutorials I have found online it doesn't look like there is usually any top stitching done on the sweater squares. Any insight/advice on this would be appreciated. If no top stitching, how do I ensure the backing (and possibly lining) stay put?
  4. Should I line it? Particularly if I am using multiple fabric types of varying weight?
  5. What type of material would you suggest for the backing? I am leaning towards flannel.
  6. what type of fabric would you suggest I purchase for additional quilting squares to fill in where needed amongst the shirt fabric?

Thanks in advance for listening to what probably seems like very simple questions for the experienced quilter! Any additional info you think I could benefit from is also greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Lori.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM

I don't think I have ever seen a quilt made with sweaters. I will be watching this topic to see what others have to say.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Since you've never made a quilt, I'd like to suggest you start with something easier, than sweaters and other irreplaceable items. Get yourself some cotton fabric and learn the ins-and-outs of piecing and quilting, first. Quilting with those sweaters will be a bit trickier, so it's best to learn the basics, first. Maybe you can find some fabric that reminds you of your dad . . . or something you think he'd have liked. Use that for your very first quilt, so that if there are any problems, the precious items won't be harmed.

Welcome, from Texas!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 PM

I agree with Neesie. I am also really new at this. Believe me, with all the mistakes I made with non- sentimental ( but not cheap either) fabric, i would be heartsick to cut and mess up prized sweaters in the learning process.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM

That is a very very good point, ladies, thank you! I'm so eager to start because I know it will feel so good to make something from his things, but I certainly don't want to do any irreversible damage. My goal is to have them done by next Christmas (2014) so I definitely have time to make a few others first. I've been wanting to try a rag quilt for each of my children, so now would be a good time to try that! I'd still love some insight and advice on the different fabric types together, and what do to for the lining and backing, so that I can get a good stash going and have everything ready to go for these, when *I* am ready!

Thanks so much!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 PM

I agree with the suggestion to wait and glad you see the benefit in doing it. While working on other things, you can do some planning - are your father's sweaters wool? if so, they can be wet felted. You can google that to learn what it is. Felted wool makes great tote bags, etc., in case you want to do something other than a quilt for some of the family. If the sweaters are not 100% wool, they won't felt, so back to the quilt idea.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 AM

I'm so glad you've decided to wait just a bit!

Back to your original question, when you're ready to work with the sweaters, it'd be better to have the quilt top completely done with similar weight fabric. I would use the coordinating shirts, as part of the quilt backings, so that they'd be alongside fabrics similar to themselves. Not knowing the weight of the sweaters, it's hard to suggest like fabrics for piecing with them. If you have a quilting guild or LQS near you, it might help to get the advice of someone knowledgeable, who can see/feel them, then recommend appropriate fabric.

Welcome to the world of quilting!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

If you have any of his shirts, I would start with those first. Also depends on what size quilts you're thinking of. Maybe lap quilts instead of bed quilts. I would say yes to flannel for the backing but again depends on the climate where each quilt is going to.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM

I think a quilt made with both the sweater fabrics and the shirts would LOOK very interesting, but might be most impractical to use. For one thing, if many of them were wool, it would have to be dry-cleaned. However, I think the idea is worth pursuing.

I would definitely advise using a larger seam allowance than the typical 1/4" on those knit sweaters. And anything very bulky probably would not work well at all. After you gain a little experience, perhaps you could buy just a few cheap sweaters and shirts at a local thrift store and experiment BEFORE you cut up the precious ones that were your father's. You could get very creative using the button plackets, collars and cuffs right in the quilt blocks. I would love to see this when you finish it.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:24 AM

I think it's a wonderful idea. Here is a tutorial that hopefully will help.

http://recovergirl.wordpress.com/201...eater-blanket/

This article has also been published in a magazine called "All You Magazine", maybe you can check your local stores and bookstores for it.

http://recovergirl.wordpress.com/201...-you-magazine/

Last edited by Peckish; 10-24-2013 at 07:26 AM.