Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time quilter with newbie questions. >

First time quilter with newbie questions.

First time quilter with newbie questions.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Red face First time quilter with newbie questions.

Hey, I'm back. I was waiting for my machine, and was having some delivery issues. Anyway, I got my machine and I am eager to begin my first solo quilt. (I say solo because I did help my mom with piecing a quilt for my son, but I have zero experience with batting, sandwiches, quilting, or anything else I don't realize--haha!) Anyway, I want to try a strip quilt, but I will make wide strips. I have six different fabrics, so I think I will make six strips. I think I will also try to create a border, but I will have to get more fabric. (BTW, this will be a small quilt, kind of like a lap blanket--for my three year old.)

Anyway, I am working with quilting cottons for the piecing. What do you recommend for a bottom and batting? I was considering going without batting and using fleece instead, but I figured with fleece being more of a stretchy fabric, I might be asking for trouble with it being my first.

Also, anything you can think of that I should know before diving in? Hehe.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:11 PM

I generally use a cotton batting such as Warm & White, and a cotton backing. I try to buy the wide, 108" so I don't have to piece the back. But that's just a personal preference. As you do more quilts, experiment and see what you lie best.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. Seems you are already hooked, but if you aren't, you soon will be. LOL. Using 6 wide strips for the top will be good, or you can cut more, narrower strips to give your top some variety. Any quilting cotton fabric will do for the backing -- you can choose a color that is in all 6 of your fabrics to do a solid back, or you can take your favorite fabric from the 6. That goes for the border(s), too. An inner border is basically a stop for all the prints and outlines them, and an outer border pulls all the prints together. Be sure you watch some good tutorials on how to measure when you get to the borders, because there is a right way and a wrong way. My opinion is that you don't use a very light fabric on your outer border and your binding, because that's where it is handled the most, so will get grungy. But, like I said, that's my opinion. You can do batting and backing, or you can do flannel, one layer or two, if you want a very light quilt. If you use flannel, be sure to wash it before using it, because flannel shrinks a lot. There are several on this board who I've read that posted that they wash and dry their flannel fabric twice, just to be sure. Fleece is OK, but you are right, it does stretch, and it stretches more one way than the other.

There are a lot of good tutorials on YouTube and on blogs, so between the help you will get from board members and the internet, you have a lot of information at your fingertips. I would suggest that if you have a LQS (local quilt shop) in your area, see if they offer a beginning quilting class and take it. There's nothing like being able to ask questions and get answers right away.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM

Thank you for the idea about You Tube, I hadn't thought of that. Also didn't think about cutting the border, hmm, I will look into that as well. So much to learn! Gonna go on a quilting video scavenger hunt now, LOL!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM

I would use regular quilt batting if you want warmer use poly, but personally I love to use cotton batting with all my quilts because it breaths, and is cool in the summer and warm in the winter esp if use with other blankets plus it wears well....
Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Dont forget to check out craftsy, there are 4 free quilt classes on there
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Just use any cotton quilting fabric for the back--something in colors that go with your front. I like to use a backing fabric with some pattern design in it because whatever quilting stitching you do on the front won't match up on the back and something with a pattern helps hide the quilting seams. I also try to pick backing fabric that is the same predominant color of the quilting thread color for the same reason. For example if I plan to quilt with white thread I pick a backing fabric pattern with a white background. Also a printed back will help hide those hard to avoid puckers you get on the back of the quilt. I use warm and natural or warm and white batting. I would avoid a fleece back for your first quilt as it does stretch and may be more difficult to work with. I also usually use the same fabric for the binding as either my backing or outside border as this will help hide any uneven spots and the binding stitching will blend in easier.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Fleece is an appropriate batting only for quilts that need to be ultra-warm (e.g., quilts for dialysis patients during treatment, very old people who struggle to feel warm, homeless folk sleeping outdoors). Thankfully your 3-year-old doesn't fall into any of these categories. The advice you've already received is sound. Stick with cotton or polyester (or a poly/cotton blend) batting or flannel for the best result.