Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: draft of Jane Stickle's A-1 block

Blog Entries
    Someone was asking earlier about the original A1 block in the Dear Jane quilt.
    OK , I drafted the orig A1 at 4.5" block in EQ5 and wanted to find an easier way to construct it.
    Attachment 307439
    First, I worked on the center square on point. Sew 2 - 2"x12.5" strips together and press open. I don't have a 45 degree triangle ruler. So I used my 45 degree angle on my straight ruler. Mind you, this does not have the tip cut off like some triangle rulers, so the tip is included in the strip measurements. I cut 8 triangles alternating turning upside down. I sewed them together to make this
    Attachment 307437
    I then used my block printout and cut out the center square on point. I trimmed this back to that size making sure to add the seam allowances. So the overall trim size comes to 3 7/8" square. My block came out just a hair small, so you might want this trim to be 4" square.
    Attachment 307440
    This is now my final block, which is a tad small. When I redo it, I will make the corner squares 1.75" and the tiny triangle 1.25" instead of the 1 3/8 in this block... it seems a tad large on this block. The setting triangles should be cut from 2.25" squares cut corner to corner.
    Attachment 307442
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-30-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    Nancy in western NY

well 2 thoughts occurred to me. 1. Paper piecing or 2. sew the white and pink together to make a long strip and then cut the inner triangles from that, then make your setting triangles.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Someone was asking earlier about the original A1 block in the Dear Jane quilt.
    OK , I drafted the orig A1 at 4.5" block in EQ5 and wanted to find an easier way to construct it.
    Attachment 307439
    First, I worked on the center square on point. Sew 2 - 2"x12.5" strips together and press open. I don't have a 45 degree triangle ruler. So I used my 45 degree angle on my straight ruler. Mind you, this does not have the tip cut off like some triangle rulers, so the tip is included in the strip measurements. I cut 8 triangles alternating turning upside down. I sewed them together to make this
    Attachment 307437
    I then used my block printout and cut out the center square on point. I trimmed this back to that size making sure to add the seam allowances. So the overall trim size comes to 3 7/8" square. My block came out just a hair small, so you might want this trim to be 4" square.
    Attachment 307440
    This is now my final block, which is a tad small. When I redo it, I will make the corner squares 1.75" and the tiny triangle 1.25" instead of the 1 3/8 in this block... it seems a tad large on this block. The setting triangles should be cut from 2.25" squares cut corner to corner.
    Attachment 307442
    Looks perfect!
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Great job. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to try it this way - thanks for the post, It looks more lively this way.