Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draping table runner...batting????

I've tried to search for an answer to this question, with no luck, so sorry if this has been discussed before. I want to make some long table runners that will drape over the ends of the table. Warm and Natural batting is too stiff. Does anyone use an alternative batting or something else all together?

What about just flannel?

Blog Entries
    I find W&N to drape well for me. However, if you want a really soft look, use flannel or fleece, or leave it out all together.

Blog Entries
    I agree that flannel may be the softest, most drapable. It also will lay nice and flat too. :D:D:D

When I have needed something not as heavy, but still with some weight, I have used a light-weight courdury (?spelling) for the backing and do not use a filler. When quilting this free hand, it creates a unique appearance, and when I have a forgiving front panel, I actually free hand a unique pattern with the back side of the fabric up. Sorry have no pictures to show. But flannel is also a great alternative....

Banned
    I just used fabric with no batting. I also used that method to make covers for my sofa arms so cat doesn't damamge if she jumps up.

Quilter's Dream select weight cotton is very thin and very drapable after it's quilted.

Unless I have a particular reason to add batting to a table runner (eg. one that might be also be used as a mat for hot dishes), I see no need for it. I have used interfacing on occasion to give one a little more body. I also often use decorator fabric which is a little heavier anyway.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever tried Hobbs Thermore Batting?
    It's very light weight. :)

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...g_TD20825.html

klc
    I use flannel for small projects. I can get it on sale, which cuts down costs and it is 100% cotton. I don't use fleece on placemats or table runners because it is not cotton and we might want to place hot items on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast