Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drawing on the quilt top? >

Drawing on the quilt top?

Drawing on the quilt top?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Default Drawing on the quilt top?

I just finished putting together a beautiful quilt for my daughter and now I'm all set to top quilt it. It will be my first time free motion quilting. I've lowered my feed dogs, checked my tension and practiced a few times on a scrap quilt sandwich.
I think I'm ready to take on the big quilt, so can I draw a stipple design on the whole top with a crayola washable marker?
Would I be ruining the quilt by drawing all over it?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Some swear by them and others have problems with some colours and fabrics. My go to marking whenever possible is plain WHITE chalk. I shared this yesterday and will add it here. I use a make-up pencil sharpener to get a nice point.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Why don't you put the stencil somewhere you can see it and practice doing it without marking?? I think of it as drawing a jigsaw puzzle on the quilt. Wish you posted a picture because it helps us with giving you advice.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479935[/ATTACH]Here it is. I was thinking about using thread that has different shades of pink in it but I'm open to advice or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

It's a good idea to test any marker on all the fabrics you are using. White chalk is safe, but if you're marking an entire top it will come off as the quilt is moved around. I agree that if you're doing a basic meander pattern (a large stipple) you may not need to mark the quilt, if you first practice the motion.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:12 AM

why not get some little not too sticky stickers or cut up post it notes and space them around an area you are going to work on then do a path around the post its. reposition when you get to a new area.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks for that tip Tartan. I have thought about plain white chalk, but didn't think of the sharpener!! I will be trying that. Back to OP, I love the Crayola washable markers. I have never had any problems with them not washing out. That being said, I am still in search of the way that I feel is "the best for me" type of marking my quilt tops for quilting. I don't think I would mark the entire top all at one time - that is just me though. I use stencils and trace with fine tip washable markers and just do sections at a time. But I do try to plan the entire marking in my head before I start any of the quilting. Good luck
Old 06-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Now I see the picture of your quilt - its very pretty. I want to tell you that I have never used the washable markers on white fabric. I would get some blue or pink chalk sticks and try Tartans tip. (I know I am going to try that) But like others said, the chalk will wipe off as you move the quilt around.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Pagzz idea is genius ! Get some of those round colored stickers like they use for tag sales and things, and scatter them all over your quilt top. Then use them like traffic cones at a driving class ! Roam around and avoid the stickers ! That is a wonderful way to think about the meander for a beginner, I may just have to use that when my son starts working on his meandering !
Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 AM

I like the advice of marking a little section at a time and I think I will try the chalk. Since I'm only going to be doing it section by section I won't have to worry about too much rubbing off.

Thanks, I also think it's a pretty quilt. It's a little busy for me but if you met my daughter you'd realize that's she's a little busy too. She picked out all the fabric herself like a big girl (she's 4) and I'm so excited to give it to her completed.