Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dresden plate? machine applique?

I have just completed the last of my ancient (35 years) Dresdan plate blocks and I machine appliqued all of the remaining ones. I had hand appliqued the first two blocks, cut out the rest and let them sit in a shoe box since I took my first quilt class the first winter after I was married. My guild's challenge was to finish your oldest P.I.G. and although the quilt isn't done yet the blocks are and they look great!!!! My good quilting friend who loves hand applique thought machine appliquing them was the only solution for me if I ever wanted to get these blocks done.

Blog Entries
    I am machine appliquing mine!!!

I love the machine applique, and am in a BOM now, Sticher's Garden, where you use your decorative stitches to applique the edges..So many different looks we are getting...But the ever popular blanket stitch, which most machines have, is a great stich to finish off your edges, or you can just use your regular straight stich....It's your quilt, make it your own....I'm sure it will be gorgeous...Post a picture of your quilt when finished, we'd love to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I just looked it up in the Quilters Rule book. And its says in Chapter 3and 7/8, page 2 1/2, paragraph 4.5, that all applique should be hand stitched....it goes on with more detail about stitches and such. Its my duty as a law abiding quilter to turn you in to the Quilt Police, of course I could be bribed with a little chocolate and lets say 2 fat quarters....?
    lol this made me laugh today. thank you!

awesome thanks everyone! i know i don't have the patience to hand stitch everything so I'll go ahead and machine applique them :)

I'm about to start one and I plan to machine mine....

awesome i just looked at the gallery of quilts and I think I will straight stitch them :)

Banned
    I've seen a couple of machine appliqued dresden plates and they looked great. One was appliqued with a straight stitch and the other was appliqued with a machine buttonhole stitch.

I used a small zig zag on mine with a neutral thread. It looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I just looked it up in the Quilters Rule book. And its says in Chapter 3and 7/8, page 2 1/2, paragraph 4.5, that all applique should be hand stitched....it goes on with more detail about stitches and such. Its my duty as a law abiding quilter to turn you in to the Quilt Police, of course I could be bribed with a little chocolate and lets say 2 fat quarters....?
    lol this made me laugh today. thank you!
    Glad I could make you laugh. Dresdens are so pretty, I think a person could use kindergarten glue and yarn to attach them and they would still be beautiful. Cant wait to see your quilt. Eleanor Burns has video on how to do and easy appliqued dresden. Her applique method makes things alot easier IMHO. Good Luck!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast