Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Dresden plate? machine applique?

Blog Entries
    I have seen them done both ways so it is totally up to you which way you applique them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    I know you are supposed to hand applique the top of the dresden plate but is it ok to machine applique it also? I just don't know if i'll ever make it if it needs to be hand appliqued.

Blog Entries
    http://quiltinaday.com/theater/misc/misc-dresden.html Follow this link and you will see Eleanor Burns sew Dresden plate blades together with a serger, and then applique with a machine. Great episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    I'm new to quilting so this may sound dumb but if you put your dresden plate down with Steam N Sew, would you still need to sew around the edges?
    Yes you need to sew around the edges.

Do you use something to iron it down on the material to hold it in placebefore Machine stitiching it?

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    I did a Hawaiian Dresden when I was in a postcard swap on another website. I also cannot do a lot of handwork so I used a buttonhole stitch.

I recently finished a Dresden quilt top using hand appliqué. But I have a tip for you which ever way you finish. I used washable school glue sticks to place the pieced Dresdens on the backing. This made it so much easier to do the applique.

I don’t have the time (or patience!) to machine applique them. I just did a straight stitch about 1/8” from the edge. They looked fantastic!

Honestly, done both and both looked nice. I used a tiny stitch and put a tearaway under the applique so it wouldn't pucker. If you set the "catch" stitch barely wide enough to catch the edge and use matching thread, it isn't noticeable. Faster for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsews View Post
    I recently finished a Dresden quilt top using hand appliqué. But I have a tip for you which ever way you finish. I used washable school glue sticks to place the pieced Dresdens on the backing. This made it so much easier to do the applique.
    great tip. thanks.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have about 12 Dresdens ready to attach to fabric and I planned on hand sewing them with an invisible stitch. But now I'm tempted to machine sew them on.
    I like hand sewing but I'm sick of these plates and want to get them done asap! LOL

I did one machine stitched...Only regret is it's a full size and so Heavy....can't hang, too heavy to use...Probably end up being donated...
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3