Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dresden plate? machine applique?

I know you are supposed to hand applique the top of the dresden plate but is it ok to machine applique it also? I just don't know if i'll ever make it if it needs to be hand appliqued.

Sunny Southern California, actually Riverside
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    I know you are supposed to hand applique the top of the dresden plate but is it ok to machine applique it also? I just don't know if i'll ever make it if it needs to be hand appliqued.
    It is your quilt so YOU get to make the rules dear.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    Thanks for asking..... I have wondered this also. I love them, but have steered away from them because I have arthritis in my hands and can only to small amounts of hand work at a time.

Blog Entries
    I only machine applique. I have a hard time getting handstitching to look even, so, I always machine applique my dresen plates. Check out the Dresden Plates under The Gallery of Quilts in the Picture section. They are done both ways and all of them are beautiful.

its your quilt-make it the way you want--
    remember-
    there was a time that ALL APPLIQUE WAS HAND APPLIQUE---then some smart person decided- hey i could do this faster with my machine- tried it and a new technique was created!
    you can machine applique anything that you can hand applique- it's just using a different technique to reach the same end result.

dingy double poster this morning ;-)

As everyone says, it is your quilt your method. I have made one in the past using machine blanket stitch and it looked very rustic and very fabulous.

The stitch you use depends on the look you want and the fabrics you are using. I suggest you do some test peices with any odd blades you have left overso that you can find the look you like for YOUR quilt.

I have machine appliqued mine and it looked fine.

Blog Entries
    I machine appliqued mine and they look fine..

I just looked it up in the Quilters Rule book. And its says in Chapter 3and 7/8, page 2 1/2, paragraph 4.5, that all applique should be hand stitched....it goes on with more detail about stitches and such. Its my duty as a law abiding quilter to turn you in to the Quilt Police, of course I could be bribed with a little chocolate and lets say 2 fat quarters....?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast