Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drowning in unfinished projects >

Drowning in unfinished projects

Drowning in unfinished projects

Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineTheQuiltlady View Post
Welcome to my world, I share the same problem. My rule now is that I have to finish two, before I can start another one. This includes anything I make for gifts, including Christmas. My list of UFP's is getting gradually getting shorter.

I have an obsessive need to use scraps. I've had bunches of pants legs left over from shopping bags. Quite a bit got used as the liners in tissue holders (current count 271). But there's still legs left over. Saturday on the "quilting arts" that I saw, Pokey had a gal show her how to do super simple "travel bags". The kind of small flat bag on a long strap that can hold a cell phone, a credit card, ID and a bit of cash and fit over your shoulder and under your arm. I'm afraid to count----------but I've got something like 20+ ready to assemble------------as soon as I decide what the "strap" is going to be.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by craftyheart2 View Post
I belong to a yahoo group called Stashbusters and one of the tools talked about there is the Fab 4. You pick 4 projects (probably at different stages), put all the others away and focus on them. You could also add in a system of say working for 10 hours in total on one project, then moving on to the next one for 10 hours and cycle through the 4 projects this way. When one is completed you add in another one to the system.
this is a great idea! But what do I do when I start a new, exciting project? That's where I got into trouble. There are so many new, fun quilts waiting to be made that I get bored with the old projects so I put them away and start a new one. Am I doomed? LOL
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by craftyheart2 View Post
I belong to a yahoo group called Stashbusters and one of the tools talked about there is the Fab 4. You pick 4 projects (probably at different stages), put all the others away and focus on them. You could also add in a system of say working for 10 hours in total on one project, then moving on to the next one for 10 hours and cycle through the 4 projects this way. When one is completed you add in another one to the system.
thanks for the info. I just submitted for membership.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Depending on my mood--do I need instant gratification? or can I delay it a bit?--I choose either the one that needs the least work or the one that needs the most work. Sometimes, I will decide (yes, it's a decision) to complete one step only on a project that I can't seem to face. Before you know it, that project is done and ready to be quilted. Just start and don't worry about all the others; they can wait their turn. 8^)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM

You have lots of suggestions here. I just finished 120 of my unfinished projects this year. I set a number to finish by years end, then divided that up by month to smaller bites, took one or two hard ones that I know were going to take me some time and then the easier ones were my relief from the hard ones I started. It is a determination that you have to base for yourself. You must set your mind to the task of whichever you want to finish. Just pick one up and do it. You can do it kiddo.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM

I have too many UFO's because I've spent my life working on several projects at once, i.e. material for speaking engagements, etc. That being said....this is the year for finishing some of them and work hard at not starting anything new until I get several finished.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
You have lots of suggestions here. I just finished 120 of my unfinished projects this year. I set a number to finish by years end, then divided that up by month to smaller bites, took one or two hard ones that I know were going to take me some time and then the easier ones were my relief from the hard ones I started. It is a determination that you have to base for yourself. You must set your mind to the task of whichever you want to finish. Just pick one up and do it. You can do it kiddo.
Wow! 120! That shows true dedication and perserverance. You should be very pleased with that outcome. I'm headed back to my sewing space this afternoon to work on my placemats some more. It's so cold up here in NH that I don't even want to leave the house.
Thanks again for everyone's tips and encouragement!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 AM

Sort through them and find one that gets you excited about finishing. It is OK to decide that you don't like a project that you've started. Give it to someone that would be thrilled to have it or salvage parts of it for other things. I have done that and it truly frees your creativity to do what you WANT to do. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm getting there and enjoying the process. Have absolutely no desire to buy anything including fabric so hopes that lasts long enough to plow through some projects. Thanks, everyone.