Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Drowning in unfinished projects

Red face Drowning in unfinished projects

Hi all,
    Hope some of you can help me out. I have some time to sew before I go back to school but am feeling overwhelmed with how many projects are lurking around my sewing space. Argh, finding it hard to pick and this is frustrating me. Please give me your thoughts. If you are a 'finish one project before you move on' quilter, it's too late to change me now.

just pick one and get busy procrastation wastes alot of time at least for me ...my problem is my work area is too small but come Feb we are going to expand that area and hopefully that will make me better organized.

I sure hope you (WE!) get some helpful advice here....I need the answer to this question too....I'm NOT a finish one project before you move on quilter either (and almost certainly never will be)...sorry I couldn't help but maybe misery loves company...

Hi lots todo. Try numbering your projects. Maybe start with the one you are most excited to finish and go from there. Doing the one you are more motivated to work on may give you a kick start. Enjoy your sewing time. I too plan to quilt before returning to school.

I don't like to waste money and when I have UFOs laying around, I see dollars sitting there that weren't spent wisely. I don't buy for the next project until I'm finished w/ the current project. I also find that generally speaking, my taste changes like the blowing wind. Down the road, I may not like my original plan, so it sits unfinished, and then I just see money that I could spend on something else.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I'm not necessarily a 'finish what you start' person. Sometimes that's just necessary. I usually have a couple of projects going at once but all in various stages. This way, if I feel like doing some piecing I can do that...quilting, I can work on that...planning, etc. But that's about it.

Blog Entries
    most of my UFOs sit there because i'm frustrated in knowing how to finish them. some sit there because life got in the way before they could be finished.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    when i hit that wall i don't waste my meager brain cells trying to figure out which one i would like to do.
    after all, if i hadn't lost interest in it the project would be complete already. LOL

i look for the one that requires the least work left to do.
    the satisfaction of getting that one done will often keep me inspired to get another one out of the way.
    i just keep picking the ones with the least left to do until i have worked off enough "guilt" to not feel silly if i start another new one.

i do have the impossible dream that someday the inspiration will last long enough to clear the pile.

as if.

LOL LOL LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

Blog Entries
    i would pick the smallest and easiest to accomplish. that way, once it's done, you get that rush of "yeah! i finished it!"

that's my story and i'm sticking to it

make a list on what needs to be done on each quilt. Finish of the ones closest to the end first. like binding, borders, etc. If you can't finish a project, at least move it to the next stage.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I agree with Patrice, pick the one with the least amount of work and finish that one. Then the next closest one to being completed and so forth.... Once you get one or two done, it won't look as unsurmountable.
    Heather

I have the same thing going on. I have done a few. but then more join in the pile. Just pick one and go. Dont look at the big pile, just one at a time "one day at a time"
    How do you eat and elephant? One bite at a time! LOL
    Have Fun!
    Darlene

I make a to do list, but do not put too many on at once, then I start and work on these until the list is done . It may take awhile but makes me feel good to get a few done.

Dedicate a day to working only on unfinished projects that you wouldn't otherwise prioritize. I do my 'fun' crafting on Saturday, and finish up stuff that has been sitting on Sunday.

But also- really decide if it is worth finishing, if it isn't - give it away or throw it away. Tastes change and there is no obligation to finish everything you start.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Usually I get bored with the quilt I am working on because it is not challenging enough for me or it is too complicated for me. It's always one of the two. And I am afraid of a good challenge, which I shouldn't be because before I knew any better, I was making challenging quilts just fine. Now that I know they are challenging, I shy away and go for easier ones. If they are too easy, I get bored and it doesn't seem to hold my interest. Does that sound like you?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I don't like to waste money and when I have UFOs laying around, I see dollars sitting there that weren't spent wisely. I don't buy for the next project until I'm finished w/ the current project. I also find that generally speaking, my taste changes like the blowing wind. Down the road, I may not like my original plan, so it sits unfinished, and then I just see money that I could spend on something else.
    I've been quilting only three years. I've read plenty of comments about UFOs and I keep thinking about what a waste of money it is not to finish something.

Right now I have about 5 unfinished projects, maybe more. Yeah, definitely more. I used to be one of those people who had to finish a product before moving on. Sort of like "Clean your plate before you get dessert". Then I started quilting and and somehow I wanted to do so much more than just one project. I started making a Courthouse Steps Log Cabin quilt and it was coming along really good. But to do that right, you really need a design wall which I do not have or you lay it on the floor or the bed or somewhere. My DH came back home from a trip so that quilt got folded up because I could not put it out where I could see it. Then Connecting Threads had these absolutely beautiful orange/yellow batik charms on sale and I bought them an started a quilt, changing the pattern somewhat. So then I did not have enough fabric to finish it and had to order more. I was reminded that some anniversaries were coming up for my DD and DS so I had to stop and get them done. Then I remembered I had to start on DGS quilt and started that and since it is over 1000 pieces, that got boring and I started on another charm quilt. I am a Snow Bird now and have all these unfinished projects with me now and will start today on finishing them. I will work on my favorite one just to get me going and then after a few days I will start on another. I bought some flannel tablecloths and will use those for my design wall, I can fold it up nice and neat after laying it all out. Do not be upset about all your projects, I think it's wonderful myself to have so many projects, my talent is overflowing. Just pick your favorite one of all and start. These items you are making are for you and should be a pleasure. If not, then give them to the Salvation Army, sell them here, or just give them away. Life is so short, enjoy it, don't feel guilty.

Power Poster
    Take a good look at your UFOs and decide if there are any that you know you won't work on this year. Find a nice container and pack those away with all the fabric/ pattern / notes etc. and put them in the cupboard with the date on the outside. Now you can concentrate on the couple of projects you want to work on. If after you get the 2 done you can unearth one of your containers.

Omg! I have three unfinished quilt projects (one may never get finished, I changed all the decor in the house to completely different color sets). I also have about 4 unfinished crochet projects and countless other 'little projects' that need attention. I too become distracted by the numbers of 'to do's' on my list, so when befuddled, I try to pick on the project that is closest to completion. One quilt is already assembled, needs a backing and batting and the machine quilting I planned, so I'm working on this first (primarily to get rid of it, it's going to charity when it's done because of the change in our homes colors). Saving the crocheting for the evening in front of the TV, working the 'little stuff' in with small chunks of time. Sometimes this strategy works for me, sometimes it doesn't. It's all the advice a self-proclaimed procrastinator can offer!

We had a UFO club one time at our LQS. It worked Great!! Here's how it worked. Make a list of all your UFO's and number them. Let say you have 12. Now take 12 small pieces of paper and write each number on one. Put them in a bag. Every month draw out a number, whatever number you draw, look at your list and thats the one to finish. We had till the next meeting to finish it. If we did not it cost us $5.00. The next meeting we would draw a new number. At the end of the year, everyones money, and there was a lot, would go towards food and goodies for a UFO party. If we finished our UFO for that month the quilt shop gave us a $5.00 rewards card. Lots of UFO's were finished, and lots of fun was had.

I think we've all been there a time or two. I have a few UFOs myself right now.... and I plan to put numbers on 5 of them.... I'm not going to pick which ones, just the top 5 projects. Then, I'm going to have my DH or DS pick a number from 1 to 5. Whichever number they choose will be the one I work on.... no backing out or whining about which one. Just do it..... muddle through if necessary. The goal will be to work on it till done. Then, I'll pick the next one, etc. Sometimes I just have to force myself to work on something but that's okay.

One way I've gotten myself to work on a project that I'm not excited about is to bargain with my time. I tell myself that I will work for 2 hours and then I get 30 minutes to do something I'm really wanting to do. Then, I just repeat the 2 hour, 30 minute cycle till I either get it done or till I've reached the point where I'm excited to get it finished. I find that I'm always more excited to finish the closer to done I get.

Good luck... let us know what works for you.

I agree that you pick a project that is nearest completion--once it is done you can mark it off. Do that with all the others and watch that list disappear. Then and only then get yourself a new project and get it done. Happy New Year.

Blog Entries
    I'm with PatriceJ and TwoXover. I completed quite a few projects in just about four weeks by doing that. Some were almost finished and so I could do two or three a day which really encouraged me. It is so much fun to see completed quilts stack up where you can see what you have accomplished.

I am one that finishes a quilt, totally before I start another.
    If I were you I would pick one UFO and just work on it until it was totally finished and move on to another. If you don't get started you will be wasting precious time and not get a thing done.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Can't help you, cuz I have the same problem on the other hand, I couldn't stand having only one project! I walk in my room to straighten up and yet start another project,then one day when i least expect it, I will get busy and get them almost done and start again. Oh what a web we weave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast