Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drowning in unfinished projects >

Drowning in unfinished projects

Drowning in unfinished projects

Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 AM

I agree with Patrice, pick the one with the least amount of work and finish that one. Then the next closest one to being completed and so forth.... Once you get one or two done, it won't look as unsurmountable.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 AM

I have the same thing going on. I have done a few. but then more join in the pile. Just pick one and go. Dont look at the big pile, just one at a time "one day at a time"
How do you eat and elephant? One bite at a time! LOL
Have Fun!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM

I make a to do list, but do not put too many on at once, then I start and work on these until the list is done . It may take awhile but makes me feel good to get a few done.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 AM

Dedicate a day to working only on unfinished projects that you wouldn't otherwise prioritize. I do my 'fun' crafting on Saturday, and finish up stuff that has been sitting on Sunday.

But also- really decide if it is worth finishing, if it isn't - give it away or throw it away. Tastes change and there is no obligation to finish everything you start.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Usually I get bored with the quilt I am working on because it is not challenging enough for me or it is too complicated for me. It's always one of the two. And I am afraid of a good challenge, which I shouldn't be because before I knew any better, I was making challenging quilts just fine. Now that I know they are challenging, I shy away and go for easier ones. If they are too easy, I get bored and it doesn't seem to hold my interest. Does that sound like you?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
I don't like to waste money and when I have UFOs laying around, I see dollars sitting there that weren't spent wisely. I don't buy for the next project until I'm finished w/ the current project. I also find that generally speaking, my taste changes like the blowing wind. Down the road, I may not like my original plan, so it sits unfinished, and then I just see money that I could spend on something else.
I've been quilting only three years. I've read plenty of comments about UFOs and I keep thinking about what a waste of money it is not to finish something.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM

Right now I have about 5 unfinished projects, maybe more. Yeah, definitely more. I used to be one of those people who had to finish a product before moving on. Sort of like "Clean your plate before you get dessert". Then I started quilting and and somehow I wanted to do so much more than just one project. I started making a Courthouse Steps Log Cabin quilt and it was coming along really good. But to do that right, you really need a design wall which I do not have or you lay it on the floor or the bed or somewhere. My DH came back home from a trip so that quilt got folded up because I could not put it out where I could see it. Then Connecting Threads had these absolutely beautiful orange/yellow batik charms on sale and I bought them an started a quilt, changing the pattern somewhat. So then I did not have enough fabric to finish it and had to order more. I was reminded that some anniversaries were coming up for my DD and DS so I had to stop and get them done. Then I remembered I had to start on DGS quilt and started that and since it is over 1000 pieces, that got boring and I started on another charm quilt. I am a Snow Bird now and have all these unfinished projects with me now and will start today on finishing them. I will work on my favorite one just to get me going and then after a few days I will start on another. I bought some flannel tablecloths and will use those for my design wall, I can fold it up nice and neat after laying it all out. Do not be upset about all your projects, I think it's wonderful myself to have so many projects, my talent is overflowing. Just pick your favorite one of all and start. These items you are making are for you and should be a pleasure. If not, then give them to the Salvation Army, sell them here, or just give them away. Life is so short, enjoy it, don't feel guilty.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Take a good look at your UFOs and decide if there are any that you know you won't work on this year. Find a nice container and pack those away with all the fabric/ pattern / notes etc. and put them in the cupboard with the date on the outside. Now you can concentrate on the couple of projects you want to work on. If after you get the 2 done you can unearth one of your containers.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 AM

Omg! I have three unfinished quilt projects (one may never get finished, I changed all the decor in the house to completely different color sets). I also have about 4 unfinished crochet projects and countless other 'little projects' that need attention. I too become distracted by the numbers of 'to do's' on my list, so when befuddled, I try to pick on the project that is closest to completion. One quilt is already assembled, needs a backing and batting and the machine quilting I planned, so I'm working on this first (primarily to get rid of it, it's going to charity when it's done because of the change in our homes colors). Saving the crocheting for the evening in front of the TV, working the 'little stuff' in with small chunks of time. Sometimes this strategy works for me, sometimes it doesn't. It's all the advice a self-proclaimed procrastinator can offer!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM

We had a UFO club one time at our LQS. It worked Great!! Here's how it worked. Make a list of all your UFO's and number them. Let say you have 12. Now take 12 small pieces of paper and write each number on one. Put them in a bag. Every month draw out a number, whatever number you draw, look at your list and thats the one to finish. We had till the next meeting to finish it. If we did not it cost us $5.00. The next meeting we would draw a new number. At the end of the year, everyones money, and there was a lot, would go towards food and goodies for a UFO party. If we finished our UFO for that month the quilt shop gave us a $5.00 rewards card. Lots of UFO's were finished, and lots of fun was had.