Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drowning in unfinished projects >

Drowning in unfinished projects

Drowning in unfinished projects

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM

I finish everything...can't stand something unfinished...what would be totally crazy. I agree with the others, pick the one that has the least amount of work and get started.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM

I donated a ton of UFO's It was freeing! definitely reduced my frustration level.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My personal mantra: "Beethoven, Schubert, and Mozart left work unfinished; and no one denies their genius!"

Jan in VA
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

first off it's going to take a little (self-discipline)...do not start anything new until you have*lowered the stack* of unfinished projects---
then, instead of spending time going through started projects---pick up the first one- decide---nothing else till this is done...sit down & get it done. You will feel so (empowered) and excited when it's finished! then grab that next one one in site & do that one...in no time the stack will be down below the (overwhelming) level and you will be excited to start something new. many of us go through this...when i reach that point where i just don't know what to do- i know it's time to just take the first one laying in site and get at it-no excuses. (if there is actually an excuse-like need something important---at a standstill then i write a note stating what it is i need to finish it- put the whole thing into a large ziplock-with the note on top & shelve it- then it's not laying around in the (overwhelming ufo's stack) it is put away- and i can move onto the next one. it's always amazing how all of a sudden i can get 6-10 projects finished in a week when i set my mind to getting things done & out of the way
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 AM

Every day since Christmas, I repeat to myself, "no new projects started until all unfinished quilt tops have been quilted and bound" at least 5 times. So far I have gotten 2 quilts done and plan on getting the backing ready for a couple more today. Hopefully this will get me thru the stack, 'cause I really, really, want to start something new
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 AM

I have so many unfinished projects, I had the week off so that was my plan to start working on them projects, and I did I now have seven quilt tops / throws done, it feels really good.
Pam
Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 AM

I am normally a one project at a time person...but sometimes I will do two at a time. I make sure the second quilt is simple like a tumbler or plain square..the second quilt that I make is always from my scraps...it helps me feel like I am digging into my pile of scraps and in my mind a freebie..even though its not really free....since I did pay for the fabric. ; ) I use my second quilt as a leader, ender....it works and its so awesome to have two done at the same time.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 AM

I've usually got several UFO's hanging around...for various reasons - I want a particular fabric/color and can't find it, I need a backing, I'm frustrated with it or I just don't like how it's turning out. For the first 2, I make a list and carry a swatch/es everywhere I go until I find what I'm looking for or find an acceptable substitute (I can easily get fixated on "I must have thus and so and nothing else will do" which is so not true. I'm learning to be more flexible!) The last 2 - I find I need a break from it which of course means I start another project! But that break helps my creativity and/or patience so I can usually come up with ideas to make it go better or decide that like it or not, it needs to be finsihed. Finishing smaller projects gets the "go get'em" up and running too...even if I have to start a new small poroject to do it!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 AM

I recently read a post suggesting that if we have unfinished projects that no longer hold our interest, we should consider donating them to another person or a thrift shop. We should bag them up and include directions and maybe a little back story. I have several UFOs that I once loved but no longer appeal to me and would not be fun to finish, so I am considering finding someone else to love them. I think it would feel good to find new homes for some of my UFOs and remove the stress of working on something I may never use.
Thinking about it.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 AM

I too have a lot of unfinished things going. I have a stack of ideas and some things that did not get finished for Christmas. For some reason I cannot get into it.
Of course, some of this is due to the fact that my youngest son wanted the back room all for himself so he closed in the front porch for me. However, there are still no windows or inside walls. My things are out there but it is hard to find everything I need and there is nothing I like less than having to dig for things.