Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dry Cleaning Quilts >

Dry Cleaning Quilts

Dry Cleaning Quilts

Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

I just fielded a question from a member from my guild. He was asking if it was okay to dry clean quilts. I remembered what I had heard, but not the source.

I did a google check and this is what I found. I'm sure there are lots more websites, but these seem to cover the subject.

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/QuiltCare.shtml

From http://museum.msu.edu/glqc/quiltcare.html "Dry cleaning is NOT RECOMMENDED because the dry cleaning method involves rough agitation of the quilt inside the dry cleaning machine and the dry cleaning solvents may harm some fabrics." This site also recommends never wet washing a quilt...so take this advice with caution.

http://www.quilt-maker.com/care.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_dr...homemade_quilt
Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

I recently took 3 antique quilts (80 plus yrs old), had them dry cleaned, and they came out perfectly...Naomi
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks for doing the research on care of our quilts. I do hang my quilts in the sunshine occasionally. I also have used the gentle cycle on my washer & dryer. They came out beautifully.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM

What, your suppose to wash them? LOL! Thanks for the information, it will come in handy.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I regularly wash my quilts in a regular washer, with regular detergent, on regular cycle, extra rinse, damp dry. Have done so over twenty-five years. I regularly *use* my quilts. :D

Jan in VA
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM

I wash in cold water and make sure I don't use detergent with bleach. Air drying is good when you can.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 AM

I worked at an IFI(International Fabric Institute certified) ) dry cleaners for 20 years,and not one complaint was ever made on the quilts we dry cleaned.One customer once insisted we wash her quilt and the colors ran and blamed it on our machines,she filed a claim and lost.But we did start having them sign a release form if they insisted on getting them washed., and that ended washing experiences with quilts.Never had another customer ask for washing quilts.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I regularly wash my quilts in a regular washer, with regular detergent, on regular cycle, extra rinse, damp dry. Have done so over twenty-five years. I regularly *use* my quilts. :D

Jan in VA

Ditto, but I do use the gentle cycle for washing and drying.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by betty32084
I worked at an IFI(International Fabric Institute certified) ) dry cleaners for 20 years,and not one complaint was ever made on the quilts we dry cleaned.One customer once insisted we wash her quilt and the colors ran and blamed it on our machines,she filed a claim and lost.But we did start having them sign a release form if they insisted on getting them washed., and that ended washing experiences with quilts.Never had another customer ask for washing quilts.
It's good to hear the "other side." Sometimes it's hard to know who is a expert and who isn't. I appreciate your post.