Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent >

Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Hi everyone! Need advice, please. I have a new orange polyester top that I just love. It fits so well, it makes me feel young and attractive again....in my own mind only, I'm sure! Naturally, the first time I wore it I got grease spots spattered all over it. Took it to the cleaners and it looks like they got the spots out but now there are water mark looking things or rings that I think must be from whatever they used to clean it. So, do I return it to the cleaners to see if they can get it out? Why didn't they do that to begin with? Or do you think I can wash it at home and get it out? Maybe I should have tried to get the stains out myself to begin with. Why does this always happen with something you really log?! Grrr!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Is it a dry clean only blouse? I hand wash some of my dry glean only blouses but it depends on the fabric. One of the best thing for grease stains for me is a drop or two of clear dish soap on the spot and then run hot water through it. I then hand wash the whole blouse. I don't know what you could use on the dry cleaning stain. I think a trip to the dry cleaner to see what they used may be the best way to go.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I would take it back to the dry cleaner and show them. For less money, you could have done that yourself at home!

Once the spots are out, you should be able to hand wash a polyester top (I'd do it in a sink).
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks Tartan & Prism99. The tag says it's washable, but I was so worried about making sure the stain came out that I took it to the cleaners. You're right, I could have messed it up at home! Guess I will take it back and at least try to find out what they used. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Years ago i washed my hubby's nice work shirt and put toss in softener sheets into the dryer. Talk about spots all over that shirt! I then soaked it in Ivory detergent and the spots came right out. Just in case the Cleaners can't fix it.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I worked at a cleaners for 25 years. Take it back, ask them to re clean it, and tell them it has swales. Yes that's spelled right. It is from the solvent not drying evenly on the garmet. They will re clean it and it should be fine.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 AM

Thanks sewsewer2!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:51 AM

If it's a new blouse, can you buy a replacement?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:18 AM

Nope! Last one in the store. High end top at a wonderful price which made it even more attractive!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 AM

I hate polyester anything. I used to go Tut-tut when I would visit my mother and see food on her grand bosom. I inherited that part, and for the life of me its a food magnet. I hand treat ALL my spots and it still takes three or four washes to get those stains out. Then I wear it and I have another.
I think they've improved the grease! LOL
MaryKatherine