Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Hi everyone! Need advice, please. I have a new orange polyester top that I just love. It fits so well, it makes me feel young and attractive again....in my own mind only, I'm sure! Naturally, the first time I wore it I got grease spots spattered all over it. Took it to the cleaners and it looks like they got the spots out but now there are water mark looking things or rings that I think must be from whatever they used to clean it. So, do I return it to the cleaners to see if they can get it out? Why didn't they do that to begin with? Or do you think I can wash it at home and get it out? Maybe I should have tried to get the stains out myself to begin with. Why does this always happen with something you really log?! Grrr!

Power Poster
    Is it a dry clean only blouse? I hand wash some of my dry glean only blouses but it depends on the fabric. One of the best thing for grease stains for me is a drop or two of clear dish soap on the spot and then run hot water through it. I then hand wash the whole blouse. I don't know what you could use on the dry cleaning stain. I think a trip to the dry cleaner to see what they used may be the best way to go.

Blog Entries
    I would take it back to the dry cleaner and show them. For less money, you could have done that yourself at home!

Once the spots are out, you should be able to hand wash a polyester top (I'd do it in a sink).

Thanks Tartan & Prism99. The tag says it's washable, but I was so worried about making sure the stain came out that I took it to the cleaners. You're right, I could have messed it up at home! Guess I will take it back and at least try to find out what they used. Thanks for your help!

Blog Entries
    Years ago i washed my hubby's nice work shirt and put toss in softener sheets into the dryer. Talk about spots all over that shirt! I then soaked it in Ivory detergent and the spots came right out. Just in case the Cleaners can't fix it.

I worked at a cleaners for 25 years. Take it back, ask them to re clean it, and tell them it has swales. Yes that's spelled right. It is from the solvent not drying evenly on the garmet. They will re clean it and it should be fine.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Thanks sewsewer2!

If it's a new blouse, can you buy a replacement?

Nope! Last one in the store. High end top at a wonderful price which made it even more attractive!

Blog Entries
    I hate polyester anything. I used to go Tut-tut when I would visit my mother and see food on her grand bosom. I inherited that part, and for the life of me its a food magnet. I hand treat ALL my spots and it still takes three or four washes to get those stains out. Then I wear it and I have another.
    I think they've improved the grease! LOL
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    I hate polyester anything. I used to go Tut-tut when I would visit my mother and see food on her grand bosom. I inherited that part, and for the life of me its a food magnet. I hand treat ALL my spots and it still takes three or four washes to get those stains out. Then I wear it and I have another.
    I think they've improved the grease! LOL
    MaryKatherine
    I know that problem, too. ACK! I use Dawn Dish Detergent as a pretreat. It doesn't leave any stains and cleans up any stain. (So far.)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    You should take it back to the cleaners. Their work is unacceptable as you're still not able to wear the blouse.

Here's how I handle grease stains. Pre-treat using Fels Naptha laundry soap. It's a bar soap so I wet the area and rub it on, scrub lightly, then let it sit for a few minutes. Wash and dry as usual. If there's a greasy/oily spot after washing I apply cornstarch or baby powder, rub it in and leave it for a day or two. When the cornstarch/baby powder is brushed off the oily spot is gone.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 06-07-2014 at 05:05 AM.

I have great luck with plain dawn dishwashing liquid on my good clothing. My husbands work clothes at times, otherwise the oxy clean spot remover gel.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a few polyester tops and I get all kinds of stains on them. I have always just thrown into the washer on hand wash. Before doing that though I will try to hit it with some Dawn. Just a little dab on the spot and let it sit for a minute or two. Pour yourself a beverage of choice. Then rinse the spot. As for dry cleaning take it back and tell them it wasn't like that when you brought it in. They usually comply and either reimburse or reclean at no charge. After that a good hand washing or delicate in the washer in cold water and 5 minute toss on low in washer is really all you need. Can't tell you last time I've been to a dry cleaner and that was only when I worked in a couple. Never again. I worked the intake desk. People who work in dry cleaners should wear "hazmat uniforms".

I solved the grease on the bosom problem by making long bibs from towels. Then cover my entire front and lap. Of course, that doesn't count eating out, but I usually drop my food at home more than in a restaurant.

Blog Entries
    This blouse needs to go back to the cleaners as it's their problem now. Fix it or replace it. In the future, don't be afraid to wash polyester. The dish detergent will work, but usually just regular detergent is fine. I washed my daughter's polyester wedding dress! The first cotton/poly blends stained for some reason but that was years ago.