Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent >

Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Stain from Dry Cleaning Solvent

Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I hate polyester anything. I used to go Tut-tut when I would visit my mother and see food on her grand bosom. I inherited that part, and for the life of me its a food magnet. I hand treat ALL my spots and it still takes three or four washes to get those stains out. Then I wear it and I have another.
I think they've improved the grease! LOL
MaryKatherine
I know that problem, too. ACK! I use Dawn Dish Detergent as a pretreat. It doesn't leave any stains and cleans up any stain. (So far.)
Old 06-07-2014, 05:02 AM

You should take it back to the cleaners. Their work is unacceptable as you're still not able to wear the blouse.

Here's how I handle grease stains. Pre-treat using Fels Naptha laundry soap. It's a bar soap so I wet the area and rub it on, scrub lightly, then let it sit for a few minutes. Wash and dry as usual. If there's a greasy/oily spot after washing I apply cornstarch or baby powder, rub it in and leave it for a day or two. When the cornstarch/baby powder is brushed off the oily spot is gone.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 06-07-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:00 AM

I have great luck with plain dawn dishwashing liquid on my good clothing. My husbands work clothes at times, otherwise the oxy clean spot remover gel.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I have a few polyester tops and I get all kinds of stains on them. I have always just thrown into the washer on hand wash. Before doing that though I will try to hit it with some Dawn. Just a little dab on the spot and let it sit for a minute or two. Pour yourself a beverage of choice. Then rinse the spot. As for dry cleaning take it back and tell them it wasn't like that when you brought it in. They usually comply and either reimburse or reclean at no charge. After that a good hand washing or delicate in the washer in cold water and 5 minute toss on low in washer is really all you need. Can't tell you last time I've been to a dry cleaner and that was only when I worked in a couple. Never again. I worked the intake desk. People who work in dry cleaners should wear "hazmat uniforms".
Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 AM

I solved the grease on the bosom problem by making long bibs from towels. Then cover my entire front and lap. Of course, that doesn't count eating out, but I usually drop my food at home more than in a restaurant.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM

This blouse needs to go back to the cleaners as it's their problem now. Fix it or replace it. In the future, don't be afraid to wash polyester. The dish detergent will work, but usually just regular detergent is fine. I washed my daughter's polyester wedding dress! The first cotton/poly blends stained for some reason but that was years ago.