Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Duh!!! I need help - suggestions! >

Duh!!! I need help - suggestions!

Duh!!! I need help - suggestions!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
I made pillowcases out of the left over scraps from my DD's quilt. I just sewed all the pieces together until I had a piece 27x45. Then I cut a piece of cheap clearance shelf fabric the same size and layered them wrong sides together. Then I just followed the pattern the same way I've done all my other pillow cases. My DD has been sleeping on these for 3 years now with no issues. I was concerned the seams would be uncomfortable, but I've slept on them and you don't even notice the seams.
This is what I think I will do. Did you stitch your lining fabric to the outer layer. I think I might do a few lines each way to keep them together.

Thanks everyone for all you input. It certainly is appreciated. I'm glad to know of others that have made the pillow cases this way.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:42 AM

I would rethink it entirely and use the extra squares for either shams or throw pillows. that way, any issues with seams and durability will be less. Then, I'd keep the quilt as is, coming up to where the pillows stop. You can buy coordinating solid sheets and cuff the edge over the top if the quilt edge. This is easier on the quilt, as it's not folded and edges aren't being rubbed together all the time. And looks good, IMO. Stores display bedding like that all the time.

hugs,
Charlotte the outlier
Old 03-03-2015, 05:02 AM

I've made pillow shams, but it would work for cases too if you don't want to do shams.....you would just have to make them a little larger to accommodate the added "bulk."
Do each rectangle like a mini quilt - with backing (muslin) and a thin batting....then quilt.
RE: the inside.....The only "raw" edge you will have is the seam of sewing front and back together....and you can "french" seam that or serge/zig zag.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

my aunt recently had this issue... not enough quilt to go up over the pillows. she had extra fabric and just made a 'short quilt' to lay over the pillows. it works well and there is no issue of seams on the pillow to lay on and having to wash the pillowcases more than the quilt, maybe having them more faded than the quilt.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I would also just line them, but rather than muslin, I would use a polyester jacket lining type fabric. It is a little slippery which will make it easier for the pillows to be put in. I would cut it the same size as your pieced fabric, and treat it as one: put the wrong sides together and handle them as a single piece. You could add a few lines of quilting, but if you catch it in the 2 side seams and the bottom seam, then either serge or make a French seam, it won't be going anywhere. I would wash it first.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I would make quilted pillow shams. I think of pilllws with shams as mainly decorative.

Then I would make "ordinary" coordinating pillowcases for actual use.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:47 AM

I made pillow shams from leftover blocks that I had after completing a quilt. I just made a mini quilt with batting and backing and quilted it. Then, I used a single layer of backing fabric for a back and sewed it to the mini quilt. (The back piece was actually 2 pieces that overlap so I can get the pillow inside.) It looks great and works great, too.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM

I love making pillow topper/runner from the same fabrics/blocks as the quilt. it lays across both pillows & looks like part of the quilt. It's sandwiched & finished like the quilt.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
I love making pillow topper/runner from the same fabrics/blocks as the quilt. it lays across both pillows & looks like part of the quilt. It's sandwiched & finished like the quilt.
What are the measurements of the toppers you make - say for a queen sized bed? I would love to see a picture of what they look like on the bed. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 AM

I like the bed runner idea the best so far, just put it over the pillows instead of at the foot of the bed. https://www.google.ca/search?q=bed+r...w=1280&bih=865