Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb question about hand sewing >

Dumb question about hand sewing

Dumb question about hand sewing

Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 PM

Hi, I have been following this site for a few months now. I have not posted since I joined a month or so ago. I have ALWAYS done all of my sewing on the machine. How do I begin hand stitching? What stitches do I use? I have made 3 quilts and 20+ lap quilts. All machine stitched and hand tied.
I had a knee replacement in October and it got infected. In May they had to take it out and put in a partial replacement with antbiotics in so I'm not supposed to bend it at all. How can I sew like that? Thought it would be a good time to learn to sew by hand. Do I use a quilting stitch? and if so, won't it leave gaps between stitches? I hope to have a knee replacement put back in a month or so, but in the meantime I'm so bored with not being able to walk or do anything. The wheelchair is getting to be a real pain!! I'll welcome any help I can get. Have several scrap quilts cut out and ready to sew. I know there are quite a few hand quilters on the board. Thanks, Sharon p.s. Sorry this is so long.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 PM

When piecing by hand you use a small running stitch. Some people even use a back stitch every so often to help keep the stitches from pulling out. Most all antique and vintage quilts were hand pieced and the have lasted through years of use and washings.
Another thing you could do is applique. It makes beautiful blocks.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm learning to hand quilt also, so I can't offer much help. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about your knee. However, I love your attitude! :) I think it would be a great time for you to learn hand quilting and applique.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM

I've stitched quilts by hand and I use a VERY small running stitch, basically as small as I can make it, and do a back stick every couple of inches. That's what I learned 20 years ago or so and it seems to work fine. That's how my grandmother did hand sewing.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

Quiet Quilter- I would go to Youtube or google "hand quilting"
for some tutorials on this. It's much easier to watch someone do it (at least for me it was) And it takes practice!! Don't be hard on yourslf!!
So sorry about your knee! HUGS
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 AM

Ahhhh - when I read the title I was looking for the 'dumb question' but I see there wasn't one posted. :) I would just check youtube to actually see someone hand quilting. A small running stitch is all thats needed.

We love to answer questions - from the easy to answer (which border looks better?) to the one's we can't (like why is it so hot outside?).

Welcome to the group.

Originally Posted by The Quiet Quilter
Hi, I have been following this site for a few months now. I have not posted since I joined a month or so ago. I have ALWAYS done all of my sewing on the machine. How do I begin hand stitching? What stitches do I use? I have made 3 quilts and 20+ lap quilts. All machine stitched and hand tied.
I had a knee replacement in October and it got infected. In May they had to take it out and put in a partial replacement with antbiotics in so I'm not supposed to bend it at all. How can I sew like that? Thought it would be a good time to learn to sew by hand. Do I use a quilting stitch? and if so, won't it leave gaps between stitches? I hope to have a knee replacement put back in a month or so, but in the meantime I'm so bored with not being able to walk or do anything. The wheelchair is getting to be a real pain!! I'll welcome any help I can get. Have several scrap quilts cut out and ready to sew. I know there are quite a few hand quilters on the board. Thanks, Sharon p.s. Sorry this is so long.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

visit Jinny Beyer's site, she is the queen of hand piecing and has a couple good tutorials on the technique. once you get the hang of it you will find it is very precise and can be just as fast as machine piecing.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 AM

When I do piecing by hand I use a small running stitch or a small back stich. Sorry about your knee. Hang in there. I had both knees replaced at the same time.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 AM

hello... and well,, I have only done hand stitching,, and I usually do a small tight close running stitch,, and I find that if I put a little more pressure on about every 10 stitch it holds better. I also, use a light spray starch to keep my fabric a little stiff till Im done,, hope this helps!!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies. Now I have another quick question. How do I make sure my seam allowance is even? Do I mark the row somehow, or measure every so often till I get used to it, or what??? I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler!!! lol