View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 AM
quiltinghere

Ahhhh - when I read the title I was looking for the 'dumb question' but I see there wasn't one posted. :) I would just check youtube to actually see someone hand quilting. A small running stitch is all thats needed.

We love to answer questions - from the easy to answer (which border looks better?) to the one's we can't (like why is it so hot outside?).

Welcome to the group.

Originally Posted by The Quiet Quilter
Hi, I have been following this site for a few months now. I have not posted since I joined a month or so ago. I have ALWAYS done all of my sewing on the machine. How do I begin hand stitching? What stitches do I use? I have made 3 quilts and 20+ lap quilts. All machine stitched and hand tied.
I had a knee replacement in October and it got infected. In May they had to take it out and put in a partial replacement with antbiotics in so I'm not supposed to bend it at all. How can I sew like that? Thought it would be a good time to learn to sew by hand. Do I use a quilting stitch? and if so, won't it leave gaps between stitches? I hope to have a knee replacement put back in a month or so, but in the meantime I'm so bored with not being able to walk or do anything. The wheelchair is getting to be a real pain!! I'll welcome any help I can get. Have several scrap quilts cut out and ready to sew. I know there are quite a few hand quilters on the board. Thanks, Sharon p.s. Sorry this is so long.