Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EB Night & Day quilt >

EB Night & Day quilt

EB Night & Day quilt

Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 AM
BMP

Default EB Night & Day quilt

I am making wall hangings for my sons for Christmas and decided to use this pattern. I am about 1/2 done and noticed the amount of waste after cutting. I know there is a secondary use for these scraps but am not interested in doing the projects using them. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas?? If I had know the amount of scrap left from this pattern I certainly would have used another pattern, I think that 1/2 of fabric is left to scrap, very disappointed since I am using 3 batiks and it was pricey....
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

If you go to Dutchman's Puzzle "Flying Geese" on YouTube, the gal there has an easy way to do flying geese with minimal waste. You don't even need the ruler from EB. I've made quite a few using this method and happy with the results.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

It is a striking design.

I just looked at the eleanor burns video for that. The secondary projects look feasible - if you wanted to do them.

What I do differently from her - when she undoes the stitching so she can spin the seams - she was snipping the thread even with the seam line.

I leave the quarter inch or so of thread uncut because I think that leaving it improves the chances of the seam staying sewn.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM

I am working on that quilt now with two favorite batik fabrics. Use the scraps. When you make the strip sets, one left and one right, you will end up with two 12 inch blocks, two nine inch blocks and two five inch (may be 6) inch blocks all coordinating. You'll be amazed at how nice they look especially in batiks. They also look nice when used together on the same quilt top.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:57 PM

Here's a different way to make it: http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NightandDayBlock.html

In this case, Eleanor Burns is just the publisher. Michelle Countess is the designer of this block.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
eleanor burns
What I do differently from her - when she undoes the stitching so she can spin the seams - she was snipping the thread even with the seam line.

I leave the quarter inch or so of thread uncut because I think that leaving it improves the chances of the seam staying sewn.
I agree with this. I saw someone actually reach in and cut those threads off; I couldn't figure out why. A woman I know won't furl her seams like this because she said they would come undone. I don't think they would if you didn't cut those threads. I don't even open all the stitches. They just sort of pop open. Most of them do not need further thread undoing.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM

I made small blocks from the scraps and put them in the borders. Will try and post a picture. It turned out great! Obviously cannot post a picture in this reply so will try something else. Stay tuned.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM

I made small blocks from the scraps and put them in the border. It turned out great. If I can post a picture I will but this forum is making it difficult to do that. Their 'Help' isn't very helpful.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM

This is on my to do list and like the paper piecing idea.