Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
eBay quilt - Just shaking my head >

eBay quilt - Just shaking my head

eBay quilt - Just shaking my head

Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM

I would just toss it but that's my personality. I don't even want to fix my own mistakes so I sure as heck wouldn't fix someone else's! I'd find it too frustrating to have to take the entire thing apart to fix it and since quilting is supposed to be fun, I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to attempt it.

I would be at the fabric store (or in my stash) picking out the perfect fabrics to sew up a new Bear Paw quilt. Any excuse to buy fabric.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Is it still considered a Bears Claw block if it has 3 HST instead of 2?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
You thought it was beautiful when you bought it. It's not now. Your first mistake was taking it apart and trying to make it be something it never was going to be. At this point, why spend time gnashing your teeth? Either stitch it back up as is, or use the pieces to make potholders.
Usually when a picture of something is posted on eBay, the item is shown to its best advantage. It's relatively rare, for a seller to show the 'ugly' side of something he/she is trying to sell. My guess is that the OP saw an eBay photo of the top, which the seller made sure looked pretty good.

I see no irony, in the fact that she tried to fix a few mistakes.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-21-2014 at 03:14 AM. Reason: fix quote to match original post editing
Old 10-19-2014, 11:50 AM

That is one hot mess! I would halt all attempts to salvage.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM

I once read that if one don't like the quilt she is working on: don't throw it away but donate it! Somewhere there is someone who likes it and is pleased to get a quilt! And there are many organisations that will make these "unloved" quilts ready and give them to someone who needs a little bit shelter or warmth!
Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM

It would be so much easier and lead to better results to just piece a quilt of your own rather than take that one apart and redo it. what a mess. I think if you really want to keep it, you just put it back the way it was and accept it as imperfect or cop it into strange pieces and make a crazy quilt out of it.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I had a friend who I had met in April and talked a good talk about being a good quilter. Just before she moved again, I was the recipient of one of her quilts to fix. Sometimes there are quilter's that see nothing wrong with what they make. I found out that my friend has ADD. I just attached the metallic gold rick rack to hide most of the mismatched seam allowances. Now I am trying to decide if I want to even attempt to put an outside border on the quilt.

I wouldn't take any more apart. If you don't want to keep it, I would still finish it and donate it. We send some of the quilts we make in the church's sewing group to Haiti or Africa where they will be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't take it apart and fix it. These are the options I see.

1. Someone will love the quilt and not know all the errors you see. Most quilt guilds make charity quilts. You can contact one of them and donate it as it is. They will quilt it and donate to someone.
2. You can just quilt it as it is and use it as a utility quilt....the one you use to put on the ground, wrap Grandma's dresser in it when you are moving it, etc. Or give to the dog to lay on.
3. Or you can use it as a practice quilt, to try all different types of quilting on.

Personally, I'd just find a guild and pass it on.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:11 PM

I would check on the red bleeding. I really believe in charity quilts so I would test it and then if its bleeds I'd finish it, quilt it and wash it with a number of color catchers and lots of water and then donate it. My guild donates many, many quilts. You can't believe the joy the quilts provide and the new owners don't care about perfect piecing.
Good luck
Old 10-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would say to the question (who would do this?) .... Someone who is new to quilting, is trying to learn on her own, figuring it out as she went along, doing the best she could to figure it out.... Kudos to her for trying so hard to figure out how to do something on her own! I would not have started taking it apart, I would quilt it as is, perhaps using it as a quilting practice piece and keep it as a utility quilt, maybe as my next * picnic quilt*
Yes this! I would make an utility quilt. It is just not worth it to take it apart.