Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops >

Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops

Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops

Old 11-15-2016, 04:59 PM

The quilter says starch (flakeless) makes everything crisp and flat and is then easier to sew. I, too, am not sure I really need this; a master quilter in my quilting group insists that I do not.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:29 PM

I always starch any fabrics I'm going to be working with, and if there's fabrics left over, they go right back in the drawer and I've never had a problem with silverfish. My opinion is, that if you don't have a problem with silverfish/bugs now, you won't have them if you use starch.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:00 AM

You can wash your quilts when done which will wash out any starch or sizing. It was hard for me to wash a quilt after I got it done but I tried it on a scrappy quilt and it turned out so nice. If you don't care for the antique little wrinkle look, just iron the quilt. Use several color catchers and a washing machine without an agitator is best.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:35 AM

I think you would find most quilters would greet you with open arms. This hobby brings us together with the nicest people and most are not the quilt police. We all start out knowing nothing, some of us more then nothing. I had never sewn anything before I started quilting. Most quilters have at least sewn clothing but I've learned using the web and from my quilting friends, you learn as you go along. This is one great hobby with wonderful friends. So glad you found your way to this great hobby. Yes I use best press but this is a preference.
Good Luck, Mia
Old 11-16-2016, 05:44 AM

To answer your question: I would definitely put a starched quilt top in a zip lock or plastic tub or something similar. My experience with starch is that it does bring silverfish. The cat likes them, but I don't. Sizing is what I use and it takes out wrinkles and gives a bit of body to the fabric. Not as much as starch, but the bonus is no silverfish. Starch might work, but my experience with it was dismal. I used it on my last quilt and when I ironed it, it did not iron flat. It was the strangest thing. So, I cut the selvedges off, thinking that would help. No. So I rinsed the fabric and it helped some, but I will not go the starch route again. The fabric was by a good company. Sizing for me.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 AM

Wow, I've been quilting for years and years and have never used starch of any kind. I just spray plain water to get wrinkles out. I do press at every step. My results are very nice but not show quality.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
I think I saw may one silverfish months ago, but basically I don't have a problem. I do have a plastic container with a lid that I store my fabrics in, and I have a new one for quilt tops, so it sounds like I would be okay to use this product.

Thanks for your advice!
Not seeing silverfish doesn't equal not having silverfish--the little S.O.B.'s thrive in undisturbed, dark places. Use those zippered freezer bags. (From another mountain woman who lives in an OLD house.)
Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 AM

I have also heard that Best Press doesn't attract bugs the way traditional starch sometimes does. Perhaps whatever they remove in the clarifying process makes the difference. I always have a pile of quilt tops folded on the shelf and waiting to be quilted. So far I haven't had a bug problem with the tops or the sprayed yardage that's been returned to the shelf. I fold the tops with tissue paper, which helps with wrinkles, and I haven't had a problem pressing wrinkles out once I'm ready to sandwich the top for basting. I wouldn't want to store quilt tops or fabric in plastic; prefer them to breathe