Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Homemade Mary Ellen's Best Press

Hi, I'm Lois. Does anyone know how to make a homemade version of this wonderful starch alternative? I seem to remember a "recipe" for it in an issue of a few years back. :lol:

THIS IS IT!!! I knew someone out there would know. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Sorry but where is the starch? Sounds more like linen water to me.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure Mary Ellen's doesn't have any actual starch in it. If it did, wouldn't it not be so clear? I would think any starch would make it at least a little bit cloudy.

Blog Entries
    Actually-this video and text say that Vodka does have starch in it.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_4753578_wh...a-made-of.html

I'm pretty sure you are correct about Mary Ellen's Best Press not containing starch.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Actually-this video and text say that Vodka does have starch in it.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_4753578_wh...a-made-of.html
    Never thought of that. Thanks. I still have to try this Mary Ellen's Best Press first.

Blog Entries
    After doing more reading it sounds like it starts out with a starch and the starch converts to...something else. I am not smart in chemistry. I personally don't feel like the vodka water makes my fabric stiff. If I was starching something that really needed to be starched, like bias edges or something, I would probably use Niagara spray starch. But for pressing seams, I like the vodka water. I don't use a scent though, and I have a feeling the whole reason for the vodka is to disperse the scent and act as a preservative for it.

Sounds horrible to me, but I am a diehard Mary Ellen's Best Press fan. I just watch for it to go on sale or for a 40-50% off coupon on notions from Hancocks or JoAnns. Love the stiff starchy feel as well as the scent.

Blog Entries
    So, if you feel it isn't giving you enough stiffness in your fabric, couldn't you just make your own starch and add the rest of ingredients?

Blog Entries
    Personally I'd rather just buy the starch spray than mess with making my own. The only reason I use the vodka/water mix instead of Mary Ellen's is because my dd has several allergies and the company that makes Mary Ellen's won't tell me if any of the ingredients are ones she is allergic to. When companies refuse to disclose information like that it makes me not want to do business with them at all (there are entire food companies we don't use because of this).

I've used both Niagra spray starch and Mary Ellen" starch. I do see a difference in using hers. I buy it like someone else said , when it's on sale only. I love it. I also have allergies and it doesn't bother me at all. Hope that helps. Blessings

I usually mix my own but I bought the Mary Ellen's Press as sort of a
    back-up when I'm in a rush to finish a project and there's just that one
    piece that needs to be cut/re-cut or if a few pieces need a little extra help.
    Too expensive to use for a whole quilt.

Blog Entries
    it's a federal law to have a MSDS sheet for pure and chemical household products and if you request one you will get it. Here is a website that has a list of most starches.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm

I think Mary Ellen's has tapioca in it. I don't like it at all. I like Faultless and Niagara in the pump bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    it's a federal law to have a MSDS sheet for pure and chemical household products and if you request one you will get it. Here is a website that has a list of most starches.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm

I think Mary Ellen's has tapioca in it. I don't like it at all. I like Faultless and Niagara in the pump bottle.
    May I ask why you don't like Mary Ellen's?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia
    I've used both Niagra spray starch and Mary Ellen" starch. I do see a difference in using hers. I buy it like someone else said , when it's on sale only. I love it. I also have allergies and it doesn't bother me at all. Hope that helps. Blessings
    My dd's allergies are life threatening. So unless I know for sure, I don't take the chance-especially with something that will be sprayed. I will try to get the MSDS-maybe if I word it that way instead of asking ingredients they'll be more forthcoming.