Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
elmers school glue >

elmers school glue

elmers school glue

Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I can't wait to try glue for basting a quilt. I've used glue sticks on bindings and love how easy it is. I wonder if I could use the glue sticks to baste? Are you putting your glue lines onto the batting or the fabric? Does it matter what type of batting?
I lay my sandwich in a regular way. I glue it in sections. I use safety pins to secure the middle. Flip the quilt top over and glue about 18 inches and smooth with my hands. Than I go on until 1/2 is done. Smooth it well from the middle towards the edges and hit it with dry iron. No steam. I put glue on the batting. I am not sure if this is true for everybody, but For me it works the best with batting that has good tight consistency so that the glue does not get gobbled up by batting. I had the best results with warm and natural, but that does not mean it will not work with other types of batting. The best is to try on a scrap an see how well it works. The reason why I sandwich the quilt B-B-T even with the glue is because my backing can always use extra smoothing and also if I go crazy on the glue three layers keep the glue of my cutting table which has unfinished wood top. I like the unfinished wood because the fabric does not slide. I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM

I have used this glue for many years and have noticed how popular it has become. A couple of yrs ago I mentioned to my sis and a friend that i used this and they both looked at me like I was nuts.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM

I just finished glue basting a baby quilt - I think I will stick with 505 spray and us my wall - I used the glue straight from the bottle in long thin lines every 2 or 3 inches - you still have to make sure the back is taped down or used the Sharon Schombers(?) method with boards. It worked well but not any better then 505 just cheaper. I have not washed my quilt yet still putting on the binding.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 AM

I just finished a wheelchair sized lap quilt for my Mom. I taped the backing(flannel) down to my big table, then laid the top on, making sure it was smooth. Then starting from the middle, folded back one half of the quilt. Using Elmers glue drew thin lines is a back and forth "s" shape. Folded the half back down and patted it all together. Then did the other half. Let it dry overnight and grid quilted it the next day. Everything stayed together nicely. I haven't used it on any thing larger tho, and haven't tried using it if there is batting. I can't use the 505 spray (allergies, dang it), so the glue is the next best thing for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 AM

I always use Elmer's glue sticks when I sandwich for rag quilts before I sew across the block. I just put an x from the glue stick on each piece of the material and then smooth the pieces out together with my hands, no heat setting. Washes out 100%, even the purple colored Elmer's glue sticks--I got a couple of them in pkgs I bought of multiples that were on sale with school supplies. Crayola also makes glue sticks, I have tried them also and they work as good as the Elmer's, they are a little cheaper but I have found that they do not seem to have ass much glue in the sticks.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM

thank you all -------this place is the best
Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I can't wait to try glue for basting a quilt. I've used glue sticks on bindings and love how easy it is. I wonder if I could use the glue sticks to baste? Are you putting your glue lines onto the batting or the fabric? Does it matter what type of batting?
I find it easier to put the glue onto the batting. Following instructions, from a fellow QB member, I first smooth the batting out, on my cutting table. Then I smooth either the top or backing, on top of that. Fold back half of the fabric and apply glue to batting. Smooth that half of fabric back down, then do the other half. I give it a chance to dry, then flip the whole thing over and do the other fabric piece, the same way. I only use the iron to set it, if I'm in a hurry. It's easier (for me) to just leave it for several hours, while I do something else. I usually end up leaving the second side overnight, to dry.

If you put the batting down first, you don't have to worry so much about wrinkles, as the batting is heavier and stays put. I've only done this, with Warm & White/Natural batting, so don't know whether or not it'd work with a poly batting.