Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmer's washable clear school glue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    The glue left in the binding is a little stiffer and I thought that would be excellent for wallhangings.
    great thought!
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I use Elmer's White School glue for bindings, basting and applique. Here's a link from a post I made when someone asked how I did it. Elmer's for basting...NOT! I've never used the clear, but I've used the Glue Sticks for applique as well

Blog Entries
    I tried it for the very first time last night. I used a cheap iron that didn't steam anymore and it got everywhere! I didn't use a tip, so I might have been a little messy. On the other hand.. it worked really well!

When I was in the Army, we used Superglue on our cargo pockets when we pressed our pants. Worked great but lasted several washes. I made a little cash on the side by pressing pants for other soldiers and cutting hair!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Does one maybe need to use the acid-free kind if doing a wall hanging or such that will not be washed-??
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Elmer's school glue is not permanent so will eventually 'let go'
    Got fabric?

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    There was a post last week about using glue, so I bought Elmer's school glue at 3/$1. gotta love back-to-school sales. I did see the clear, but wasn't sure how it would work.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

I haven't tried the clear school washable glue. But I have used the white - and it seems to adhere after pressing - but if I put too much, the needle in my machine will have a hesitation moving forward. I think sometimes less is best - then it all washes out really nice once I'm finished with the quilt. I use the elmers glue on all bindings even if I hand stitch them.

Blog Entries
    I used too much glue when I glued some batting in for a trapundo effect and it was really stiff and hard to quilt. I sprayed cold water on it to remove markings, and it softened the glue too! It was a good thing in this instance, but that plan might back-fire if I was counting on the glue to hold it together after I sprayed!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I agree...the purple school glue stick doesn't work well for doing bindings. I use the elmers white school glue in a bottle, I squirt a bit on a scrap and run a pin tip through it and just dab a very small dot then iron.

Watched Sharon Schamber's video on binding with glue. She just uses the glue to keep the binding in place until you sew it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast