Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's washable? >

Elmer's washable?

Elmer's washable?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 AM

I used to think spray basting was the only way....boy have i had my mind changed! ..I only glue baste now having done probably a dozen quilts using glue basting...so easy so cheap no fumes no cleanup......and it all washes out with warm water n detergent.....fmq is a breezeand no machine issues.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 AM

I've used glue at least a dozen times in the last year and my machine doesn't blink at it. Not even where I've left glops or ended up with stiff areas, it just sews right through. (I have a Janome 6600)

Still-wet glue would probably create a mess, but I can't imagine it actually creating permanent damage to your machine. Easily avoided, anyway - just make sure it's dry!

I'm sure not all machines handle things the same way, but personally I'm fearless with the glue - I figure if I can crash my needle into a foot and the machine is fine, I don't see how glue could harm anything. (And I have busted at least 2 needles on this machine by doing just that; forgetting I have a single-hole foot on and switching to zig-zag. BANG, BUZZ, BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! Oops! Time to go find bits of needle...and she always sews just fine afterwards once I put a new needle in.)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I don't see how the washable glue could harm a machine if the glue on fusibles or stabilizers don't cause damage and they have been used for decades. No one has ever said their machine was damaged due to using those.

Elmer's made liquid washable glue and liquid School Washable glue. The products must have changed in the last years to be the same as I don't see the washable liquid glue anymore.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Thank you cybrarian, this is the one she is referring to and I should have been more specific, my bad. Both do work but I search out the natural one.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Can the washable gel glue be used the same way? I bought 3 bottles just in case but of its OK I'll go get the rest. At a dime a bottle its just too good to pass up if it works.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
And, Linda, I've found that the purple stick is much easier to hand sew thru as well. Just keep in Zip lock baggy in fridge.

Thank for the tip about baggy and fridge! Wondered why my stick wasn't working! Dried out!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 AM

Keep in mind that just because someone says it, or it is posted on the internet, there is no guarantee that it is true. Sounds like you ran into someone who has appointed herself the quilt police and I would ignore everything she says in favor of the opinions of a lot of people who have been using the Elmer's with wonderful results.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 AM

I'd say ignore her. I only glue baste now and have had no problems even on my smaller machines. The only hint of a problem was with my very first one that had fairly large glue globs. It didn't damage, but the machine didn't like it. The second quilt, I diluted the glue and ironed it in. Works like a charm. I recommended glue basting to my Bee and even brought in a sample. One person tried it. I don't know what she did but she swears that she did exactly what I said and ruined her quilt. I think she either used the wrong glue or overglued. She decided to take the glue out halfway thru the process and washed top and batting in the washing machine. Can you imagine the mess? Either way, I can't even bring up the topic because of her. Never had a problem myself.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama View Post
, it also come in tubes but do not use the purple tube on white, the purple dye may stay in the fabric.
Lately, I haven't been able to find the glue sticks in anything other than purple.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 AM

I have pin basted, thread basted and spray basted. Elmer's glue is the best and cheapest way to go as long as you let it dry before you quilt it.