Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna vs Janome >

Elna vs Janome

Elna vs Janome

Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Elna vs Janome

I am new to sewing/quilting, and am looking for the right machine to upgrade from my Bernette. Just from looking online I was thinking about the Janome 11000 SE, but then I found the Elna 9600 which looks the same. Apparently Janome bought Elna... so I am assuming they are the same machine with a different badge?

Anyone know how Elna and Janome differ?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 PM

No real big differences that I am aware of. The warranty card for Elna even goes to Janome. All the Janome accessories fit Elna (so far anyway!). I had a Janome, then last year I decided to trade up to a model with more features, and when I went to pick it up, the dealer told me I could go up another step more for $500 if I went with the Elna version - I have the 740 Excellence by Elna and love it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 PM

I have the Janome 11000se, and really, really love this machine most of the time. I have had a bit of trouble with thread breaking while machine embroidering, but think it has more to do with the thread I am using - from Metro threads - than with the machine. I don't know anything about Elna.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 PM

My dealer told me they are same company. The workings of the machines are the same, they just make the casings different.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:59 AM

Both are the embroidery format .jef. Elna has pretty machines. I wonder why we don't hear more about them. This Janome fan is intrigued!

sandy
Old 11-30-2013, 08:30 AM

I have had the same Elna for 44 years. Would highly recommend them, at least if they are made as well as they used to be. The Janome dealer that also handles Elna and repairs all types, said that the model I have is the best they ever made. I have patched Carrhart coveralls, made bridesmaid dresses, Christmas stockings, clothes galore and it just keeps on purring. At this point, I am not sure I could even sew with anything else so please don't quit on me now! Good luck in your choice.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Janome manufactures machines for themselves plus many many other brands. Elnas are no longer swiss made, they are now janomes in an elna suit. some bernettes, some low end Vikings, baby locks & other brands are also made by janome. they make a very sturdy machine. Remember, tho, it's more about the specific model you buy than the brand because many companies share parts & models.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 AM

I had an Elna 8200 embroidery machine, suppose to be same as Janome 300E and while it was a good machine it had to go to shop several time because the thread would come out of place and then the tension plate would get moved or ruined. When I would bring it in the tech would tell me I threaded it wrong wouldnt' listen to me when I told them it would be embroidering fine then BAM all nestie and knotie in the middle of stitching. After 3rd time I traded for a Janome 350E and haven't looked back. I know they say they are the same but there are differences. Elna is not a bad brand but IMHO it is not as good as Janome even if they are owned by Janome.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Did you know they aren't made in Switzerland any more? I just traded my mom's Elna SU air electric in for an Elna 740. They told me it is made in Taiwan. I was disappointed to hear that. But I love the new machine it is awesome.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM

I just bought the 740 and totally love it too! User friendly super cool machine that does everything!