Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Embroidering on a quilt top

If I wanted to embroider on a quilt would I do that on the quilt top before it is quilted or after I have quilted it and just go through the top layer??

Or could I go either way??

Thanks for your help

Blog Entries
    I embroider on the quilt top that way I do not see the mess on the back.

If it is a design I do mine on the fabric 1st then sandwich it and quilt it. Like my table topper under my name here.

As far as actually using a quilting design to quilt it, I don't know, I haven't tried it yet.

i agree with the other 2 answers i do the work on the top so the threads dont show on the back of the quilt so now you have 3 votes for the top only

Same here embroider than quilt

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    When I did a wallhanging I put the batting under the top and then hand embroidered the design on. When i had finished the embroidering I then put the back on and machine quilted in the ditch and wherever else i wanted it quilted.
    I liked the effect of the embroidery as it had a slight raised effect when quilted through the batting and i was happy with the result. If you are not sure why dont you do a sample both ways and then see which you like better.

I do a lot of embroidery in my quilts and ALWAYS do it before it is sandwiched and quilted. I used a machine to embroider and there is no way to make it just go through the top layer, when you embroider it will go through all layers. Me maws quilt that I did recently, not until it was almost done quilting did the men in my house decide it had to have names on all the corners, so the names were done after quilting and I do not like it. Its not that noticable because I used white bobbin thread but I know its there and do not care for the look of it.

I do my embroidery before I cut the piece for the fabric, that way there is no stress on the seams pulling to get it tight in the hoop

I like to piece the top, spray baste the batting to it, and then do my embroidery. That way, the embroidery takes the place of quilting in that area so you don't have to worry about how to quilt in and around your embroidery.

Also, embroidering through the batting looks wonderful!

here's one i machine embroideried on, little baskets with flowers and i did the embroidery on just the fabric then assembled it etc etc.

basket bundles
    Name:  Attachment-12193.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  46.3 KB

close up
    Name:  Attachment-12194.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  47.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast