Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas please >

ideas please

ideas please

Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Barbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: blink and you've missed it
Posts: 2,562
Default

OK- so I decided to do the Orange Crush on quiltville's site. I had read the instructions a while ago and decided to start cutting squares. So, I think I have enough for Step 1. I go online (after having some computer issues all week end) and read the directions. ARGHHH! I cut 160 4patch sets at 2 1/2 inches square. It calls for 150 sets at 2" squares. So I don't want to waste the fabric- any ideas what I can make them into? That's 640 2 1/2" squares we have hanging out.

I thought about adjusting the rest of the steps to match it, but since I don't know them, I don't want to create a mess down the line. Right now I have them matched as a light and a dark together. Do you think they would look stupid if I just made a bunch of 4 patches and grouped them some way and put sashing and made a quilt?

At least I got the 20 pairs of flip flops cut out for future DIL's quilt. And I have 40 crumb blocks in a bag, just cause they're fun to do. And I separated fabric into small, med, and large scraps.

Thanks for any help you might have!

Barb
Barbm is offline  
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
bebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 2,842
Default

Barb,
Why don't you email Bonnie from Quiltville and see if she can give you some other measurements to go w/ your 2 1/2 inch squares. Worth taking a chance.

Or cut them down as you sew along to the right size!!!!

Bebe
bebe is offline  
Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 169
Default

I think 4-patches are always good, and with the sashing you mentioned, how could you go wrong?
Calico92402 is offline  
Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
redrummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mount Vernon, Oh
Posts: 698
Default

Originally Posted by Calico92402
I think 4-patches are always good, and with the sashing you mentioned, how could you go wrong?

I have to agree, improvise, and you might like it better than what you planned. :P
redrummy is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 AM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Barbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: blink and you've missed it
Posts: 2,562
Default

I'll take pics tonight. I ended up making a 4 patch alternating with a square, then a sashing, then a crumb block. I thought it was looking cool until the 3rd row when I thought- hmmm, I'm eyeballing these rows, they could be off line. So I get the brilliant idea to line them up with my ruler. Guess what- my eyeball is better than using the ruler. So I set it aside to try to get some UFOs done, a baby quilt I finished yesterday. I'm working on future DIL's flip flop quilt and wanted to get it done this week, but I just started the applique on the first block so it won't be done. But I have the strips between and the border ready.

Then I started the Sunnbonnet Sue blocks for my other quilt, they alternate with crumb blocks. This will be for my Mom's side of the family reunion. The 6 I did so far (minus applique) are soooo cute. I'm going to have a hard time to give this one up. :)

I'll take some pics tonight and post them. The first quilt is my "butt ugly" quilt- I already named it, because it certainly is. I will finish it, I just don't like it. I figure it will get used somewhere. Who knows- maybe when it gets bigger it won't be so ugly.

Thanks for asking about the progress!
Barbm is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 AM
  #6  
Moderator
 
tlrnhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In the middle of a mess...
Posts: 19,916
Default

Ok, now you have to post pictures of the "butt ugly" quilt too!
tlrnhi is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
  #7  
Power Poster
 
amma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out searching for some sunshine :-)
Posts: 58,857
Default

How's it going Barb? Did I miss the pictures you posted?
amma is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 1,768
Default

Originally Posted by Barbm
OK- so I decided to do the Orange Crush on quiltville's site. I had read the instructions a while ago and decided to start cutting squares. So, I think I have enough for Step 1. I go online (after having some computer issues all week end) and read the directions. ARGHHH! I cut 160 4patch sets at 2 1/2 inches square. It calls for 150 sets at 2" squares. So I don't want to waste the fabric- any ideas what I can make them into? That's 640 2 1/2" squares we have hanging out.

I thought about adjusting the rest of the steps to match it, but since I don't know them, I don't want to create a mess down the line. Right now I have them matched as a light and a dark together. Do you think they would look stupid if I just made a bunch of 4 patches and grouped them some way and put sashing and made a quilt?

At least I got the 20 pairs of flip flops cut out for future DIL's quilt. And I have 40 crumb blocks in a bag, just cause they're fun to do. And I separated fabric into small, med, and large scraps.

Thanks for any help you might have!

Barb you will have to redo your four patches. I emailed and asked her if I could use 2 1/2 strips and she said it would be best not to because all the measurements would have to change and it would not necessary be the 1/2 difference. I had a lot of 2 1/2 strips. So that is what I wanted to do. Why don't you come on over to Links and join all of us doing the Orange Crush. It is under the heading Mystery. Also don't feel far behind. If you go and read the last postings by me you will see that I am resewing all my two inch four patches. :D
Barb
DonnaRae is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 1,768
Default

Originally Posted by bebe
Barb,
Why don't you email Bonnie from Quiltville and see if she can give you some other measurements to go w/ your 2 1/2 inch squares. Worth taking a chance.

Or cut them down as you sew along to the right size!!!!

Bebe
Best Idea, cut them down. Bonnie will not give you the sizes. She told me that and has it posted with the Orange Crush directions. I guess too many people ask. :(
DonnaRae is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
ShellyQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 933
Default

Barb, So sorry I didn't catch this post earlier, I would have suggested cutting them down to the correct size too. Never mind, what you've done with them sounds lovely. Don't forget to give us a squizz at them, cause we'd luv to see what you've done :P
ShellyQ is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cny_sewer39
Main
2
08-27-2011 05:21 PM
tallysue
Introduce Yourself
13
11-14-2010 12:06 PM
nanner
Main
5
02-02-2007 04:07 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.