Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery machine applique Quilt Question Need Help >

Embroidery machine applique Quilt Question Need Help

Embroidery machine applique Quilt Question Need Help

Old 01-15-2011, 02:26 AM

Ok, so I am NOT a fabric washer (except red flannel and that sort of thing.) Yes, I have read the many, many, many posts and threads here on the subject (well not all of them of course.) BUT I think I may have a new question...

I am getting ready to do a pattern from Smith Street Designs called Dots & Daisies

http://www.smithstreetdesigns.com/id2.html

It is an embroidery machine applique quilt pattern. Now say that 3 times real fast. :)

Any hoo>>> Like I said before, I am NOT a fabric washer. I love the look of quilts after they are all done and washed with the little bit of texture to them. BUT I have never done a M.E. quilt before. Can I do this without washing first? Or should I wash my fabric first??

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful responses ahead of time!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

i am also a '''once-in-awhile''' fabric washer and my answer is it depends on the fabric you are using. i have made embroidered/appliqued/pieced quilts (all in one) and a few of the fabrics here and there were washed, because they were ... red, dusty, used (as in recycled clothing)again various reasons. the quilts are beautiful there were no -adverse effects-- my 'main fabrics' as in background,borders etc were not pre-washed....it was fine and i've been making quilts that way for years.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 AM

Love the pattern. I have done ME for quite a few years and I never prewash my fabrics (if I can help it). If I had prewashed fabric I would starch it to bring back the crispness of unwashed fabric.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Awesome! Thanks ladies! I have not done much ME and REALLY appreciate the help. I did a practice one in muslin. I was scared before...now I'm on my way to get the right color thread and play while the man hunts today.