Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Applique or Embroidery Machine Applique? >

Sewing Machine Applique or Embroidery Machine Applique?

Sewing Machine Applique or Embroidery Machine Applique?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Default Sewing Machine Applique or Embroidery Machine Applique?

A year or so ago, I purchased a Brother HE-1 embroidery machine on sale ... as an inexpensive way to see if I liked machine embroidery. I finally set it up recently and did a small "saying" (using fonts) to be framed. I loved doing this much to my surprise. However, I realized quickly that, with the limited 4" x 4", I could not fit the wording in the larger size font I wanted to use. I haven't yet tried doing an embroidered applique on this machine yet, but I'm wondering if I'll find I wish I had the choice of larger hoops for this as well.

I have a Juki F 600 for sewing/quilting. Is it possible to do satin stitch applique on my Juki that will give me as nice a look as an embroidery machine applique? Seems to me after watching some videos online, that it's much neater and easier on an embroidery machine.

Also, while I'm debating & researching embroidery machines, I would appreciate recommendations ... not high end, but a step or two up from the HE-1 with larger hoop options.

Thank you.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

you are right, it is a lot neater looking on the embroidery machine. My hoops only go up to 5x7 ... I wish I had larger hoops, but do not want to spend the money right now to get a new machine.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Yes, you are limited with just a 4 x 4 hoop. There are so many wonderful designs out there but a lot of them require a larger hoop. I would try to go for a bigger machine if it is possible for you. The machine embroidery is so much neater too. I have done the machine embroidery with a blanket stitch on my machine but it is more time consuming and I don't do as neat of a job. I started out with a smaller machine and kept moving up until I finally bought a 10 needle embroidery machine. I still have a sewing/embroidery machine but it doesn't get used much.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM

I've found by paying attention to how my embroidery machine moves to make satin stitches around appliques, I can try to do that by hand for my own lettering. I've gotten much better, but doubt I'll ever get the super neat look the machine does on it's own. Maybe some day I'll figure out how to scan and combine my own applique and have the machine stich it out. I'm pretty sure my machine has the capability to do it - I'm the one lacking knowledge.

I have the Babylock Destiny upgraded to the DII. I have a 9.5x9.5 hoop along with the 8x11. The square one is really nice for quilt blocks.

I've been doing turned edge appliqué and attaching it with a narrow zigzag with invisible thread. That turns out quite nice too.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM

I love applique projects on the EMB machine. Easy to cut around the applique and let the machine do the stitching. When I do the satin stitch on regular machine, I don't always get close or even on the edges.

Buy the machine with the biggest hoop that fits your budget. You won't regret the larger hoops!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've found by paying attention to how my embroidery machine moves to make satin stitches around appliques, I can try to do that by hand for my own lettering. I've gotten much better, but doubt I'll ever get the super neat look the machine does on it's own. Maybe some day I'll figure out how to scan and combine my own applique and have the machine stich it out. I'm pretty sure my machine has the capability to do it - I'm the one lacking knowledge.

I have the Babylock Destiny upgraded to the DII. I have a 9.5x9.5 hoop along with the 8x11. The square one is really nice for quilt blocks.

I've been doing turned edge appliqué and attaching it with a narrow zigzag with invisible thread. That turns out quite nice too.
Macy,

Do you get the emails for projects? Here is a recent one that I saved to do later.

https://babylock.com/learn-and-creat...ique-tea-towel

Have you used the scan (camera) function to scan the hoop? This feature is fun to use for EMB design placement.

Plus a few more for you if you like!

https://babylock.com/search?q=applique%20towel
Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I had read before purchasing my EMB machine that this was 1) addictive to some, 2) can be expensive, and 3) buy a machine that let's me grow. Obviously, I didn't heed the 3rd one ... Ha Ha. This time I will be doing a lot of research so I make the right investment.

Thank you.

MacyBaby, years ago I did embroidery and monograming by hand and it looked very nice. Unfortunately, I tried to do it this time and it looked terrible. Guess I've lost the knack. That's what prompted me to get out the machine and finally use it.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 AM

Ronda, I was just looking on the Babylock tutorial sight and found some applique ones. I have a Scan N Cut so really want to learn how to use the two together for applique.

Sharon, I'm on my 2nd embroidery machine. Several years ago I bought a used Pfaff machine for $1,000 and it came with a large assortment of hoops, including a "megahoop" that was an add on. Even though one of the employees where I bought it offered to give me lessons, I was so intimidated by it I never have figured out how to do anything with the emboridery features on it.

Then I decided to upgrade my "full feature" 30 year old sewing machine and bought the Destiny - took me a year to get brave enough to try an embroidery design. A year later, and I'm hooked on the embroidery. I was thinking of rehoming the Pfaff, but have found I like having that machine to use for stitching when I have the embroidery module on the Babylock. I have an industrial straight stitcher for most of my piecing work.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Yup live and learn...I started out w/Husq Viking EM10 only with 4x4 hoop. Within 4 mths I upgraded to Husq Viking SE combo sewing/emb...I love that machine but largest width on hoops were 6 inches up to 13 inches long...So after 12 yrs I just treated myself to the Husq Viking epic where you can use Mega Hoops up to 13 x 14 and good thing is all my other hoops from SE can be used with it so have a good amt of sized frames along with the 3 larger hoops that came w/Epic...I shouldn't want another machine for a long time if ever in my lifetime...
Old 03-24-2019, 04:21 AM

I've never wanted to do hand applique but I do like how my embroidery machine does it for me. Of course the embroidery type applique designs all depends on how the digitizer creates them. I love how Stitch Delight does her's. She does a satin stitch around the design and then comes back and adds a crisscross stitching which really makes them stand out. Kreative Kiwi does a nice job on appliques too. Think she might do the same stitching on her's. There may be others out there that add a nice extra stitching around their applique designs, you just have to check them out. Right now I'm collecting Stitch Delight's applique lower case alphabets as I wanted to add the little girl's name on the cuff of her pillowcase that goes with the quilt she's getting. Purchased the upper case while they were on sale so just waiting for the lower case. Its just about finished and I can now make up her pillowcase to match her quilt.