Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery software >

Embroidery software

Embroidery software

Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Default Embroidery software

I got a Pfaff embroidery machine last night (yay!!!!!!). I ordered some quilting software to go with it, but declined to purchase the insanely expensive embroidery software. It is $2300!

so what does embroidery software do that makes it so expensive? Those are prices I would expect to see on professional level graphic programs!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 AM

I wonder if the quilting software your ordered will work on your machine without the Pfaff embroidery software installed. I know I have to have Bernina embroidery software installed in order for my machine to stitch out any design - ones that came with the software or ones I bought or downloaded from the internet.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

And 2300 is mid range. Pro versions are even more, if you can believe it. Professionally digitized designs are 'hand punched' which means that every one of those tiny stitches is placed by hand rather than using autofill, so the software lets you manipulate each one. I would prefer to purchase my designs! Also some allow you to create fonts (vs. alphabets) and manipulate text. I got my software 10+ years ago, so I just paid the smaller upgrade fees, (which I'm not going to add up) the thing I like about my software is if you combine designs, the software will automatically remove the bottom layer of stitches where they overlap.
You can get lower priced software, such as Embird, which allows you to add modules if/as you need them.
I would start using my machine as is, many of the newer ones let you do some design manipulation right there. Then as you use it more you will get a better idea of what features you would like in the embroidery software.
Take any and all classes the dealer offers!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-11-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: remove the shouting
Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 AM

If you already have EQ7, there's an EQStitch expansion you can buy - I think it's under $200 for the EQStitch part. I have it and have played with it only a little bit so far but it seems like I can probably create some decent stuff with it. I have designed a couple of things but haven't actually stitched them out yet. (Although it's fun to watch the simulation of the stitching, especially at top speed, LOL) I need to get my embroidery machine set up properly and just haven't found the time.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM

Take a look at www.embird.net it works great and is inexpensive. The basic program is $164.00 and Iconizer is $20.00. You can download a free demo, you can not save your designs with the demo. Embird will allow you to re-size, change colors, change formats, merge designs, split, rotate and a whole bunch of stuff. It's sold in modules so if later you decide you want to digitize you could purchase Studio module. I have a 6 needle embroidery machine and a single needle embroidery machine and I have used Embird since 2004 with no problems. Also when updates or upgrades are available they are only $20.00 or free. The big thousand dollar software is several hundred dollars to upgrade. My SIL bought one that was over 3K and was shocked and mad when she found out how much the upgrades cost.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
I wonder if the quilting software your ordered will work on your machine without the Pfaff embroidery software installed. I know I have to have Bernina embroidery software installed in order for my machine to stitch out any design - ones that came with the software or ones I bought or downloaded from the internet.
When they demo'd the quilting software for me in the store they didn't use the embroidery suite at all, and the quilting software is also compatible with other brands of machines. I don't think it will need the embroidery software at all, but it may need the software that comes with the machine... I don't know yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Take a look at www.embird.net ...
Once I get more familiar with my machine I will definitely get their free trial and check it out. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
If you already have EQ7...
I don't, but it is on my Christmas List!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM

I can hook up my embroidery machine to the computer and download the designs to my machine. No software needed. I have a Bernina, I do have the software and I only need it when I want to use the memory card which I seldom do.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM

If anyone is looking at the bigger software check out the Florini (sp?). I went to a demo on this and it looked very impressive but what was most impressive is that they don't charge for upgrades unlike the other softwares.