Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Embroidery withdrawal

  1. #1
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,858

    Embroidery withdrawal

    My baby is in the shop and I miss her. I know I can sew with my back up but I just feel like some embroidery.plus I want to use my muvit foot for a new project. Darn vinyl that jammed up my machine. Lesson learned when sewing vinyl covered cotton. On the bright side I got my road 2 ca class with patsy Thompson. Looking forward to it
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

  2. #2
    Senior Member Scraplady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    443
    I feel your pain! It's amazing how quickly I've forgotten all the little quirks of my old machine, which is now the backup. Is it appropriate to send get-well cards for your sewing machine? LOL. Hope it's up and running, or should I say "muving" again soon.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

  3. #3
    Super Member Cybrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    Posts
    1,528
    Any words of wisdom or lessons learned you'd care to share about working with vinyl covered cotton? I think that is what I was admiring at LQS Friday. Heavier than the water resistant bright materials, longer lengths like 54 to 65" wide runs about $20-$25 per yard? They had some wonderful aprons and bags made up in it. Would appreciate any advice, do's & don'ts, and tips you'd care to pass along.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

  4. #4
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,858
    Well it sewed through the first seam fine with no problem. I was using a roller foot and a jeans needle. I think it's just inexperience with the fabric and operator error because my machine sews through 8 layers of jeans with ease so 2 layer of vinyl covered cotton should have been a breeze maybe my stitch length was too short because it started to sew than just jammed out of nowhere and the cutter would not function after that
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

  5. #5
    Super Member snipforfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,971
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    My baby is in the shop and I miss her. I know I can sew with my back up but I just feel like some embroidery.plus I want to use my muvit foot for a new project. Darn vinyl that jammed up my machine. Lesson learned when sewing vinyl covered cotton. On the bright side I got my road 2 ca class with patsy Thompson. Looking forward to it
    Never heard of a muvit few. I have a 6600

  6. #6
    Super Member nabobw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pinellas Park Fl
    Posts
    4,553
    Blog Entries
    6
    I believe it is a walking foot

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Never heard of a muvit few. I have a 6600
    Dolphyngirl and I have Dreamweavers and it comes with the muvit foot. It's used for multiple layers, like quilting, or heavy fabric. It's wonderful for SID and binding. I've had mine only a couple of months and am still learning.

    Dolphyngirl, I am surprised it happened. I thought these machines were invincible!!

  8. #8
    Super Member snipforfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,971
    Blog Entries
    8
    Somewhere sometime ao I vaguely remember hearing about when stitching on vinyl to place a strip of tissue paper over the seam line and stitch on that. I may be crazy but kinda makes sense??

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Well it sewed through the first seam fine with no problem. I was using a roller foot and a jeans needle. I think it's just inexperience with the fabric and operator error because my machine sews through 8 layers of jeans with ease so 2 layer of vinyl covered cotton should have been a breeze maybe my stitch length was too short because it started to sew than just jammed out of nowhere and the cutter would not function after that

  9. #9
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,362
    Hope you get your machine back soon!

  10. #10
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Somewhere sometime ao I vaguely remember hearing about when stitching on vinyl to place a strip of tissue paper over the seam line and stitch on that. I may be crazy but kinda makes sense??
    I will have to try this when I get it back. I think since it was a fusible vinyl some of the stickiness from the fusible was stitcking to the foot which caused the jam. I am pretty sure it was not the machine. It sewed the first layer flawlessly. I have never worked with fusible vinyl before so it was my error
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.