Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To the end of my rope..... >

To the end of my rope.....

To the end of my rope.....

Old 07-07-2011, 05:10 AM

Last night I started to FMQ my Janome Horizon. It started to skip stitches then break the thread. I have already used this machine to FMQ on four large quilts without any problems. Now this. I have tried the folowing needles...Schmetz topstitching 90/14, Schmetz universal 90/14, Schmetz quilting 11/75 and Dritz universal 11/75. I'm using Maxi-Lock Swirl for the thread. I even tried an all cotton machine quilting thread and Coats and Clark all purpose thread. Have been using auto tension and even changed to regular tension. The best combo seems to be with the Dritz universal 11/75 needle. Could someone please tell me what is going on? I'm VERY frustrated! Also, if you have the Janome Horizon I'd love to hear what you are using. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 AM

First, let me say I love my Horizon. :) But, it's very finicky.

Every single time I've had thread breaking and skipped stitches (which is several!) it's been because there has been a small piece of thread or lint or whatever stuck somewhere along the threading of the machine, usually in the tension discs. I had tried many ways to clean this out, but usually it just "falls" out of the machine sooner or later, and the problem resolves and it goes along beautifully after that. I've also had a few issues if the bobbin isn't wound perfectly, but that's rare. I've read about, but haven't tried, "flossing" machines with unwaxed dental floss - going to try that the next time it happens. I've also found that "Sewers Aid" is a very wonderful product, and have run metallics through it while using it with no problems whatsoever. Hope you resolve your issues quickly and painlessly!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Administrator

try switching to a size 16 needle.

i don't always need that size, but it's the first thing i try when i get skipped stitches while quilting.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 AM

Don't have your brand machine but sounds like that four letter word LINT - hiding somewhere.....do you use the compressed air in the can to blow out your machine occasionally? Or a soft thin paint brush will catch lint but not hurt anything in machine.......good luck finding the culprit....
Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM
klc

I've been told not to use compressed air in my Horizon. I do use small brushes and pipe cleaners to help clean the lint out. It does seem to attract it quickly. But I also love my machine.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
try switching to a size 16 needle.

i don't always need that size, but it's the first thing i try when i get skipped stitches while quilting.
I would agree. I find a larger needle works much better for me when quilting. i often forget to change it until i have issues, though.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:51 AM

TNT, Thread, Needle, Tension. Make sure that you machine is clean and that it doesn't need oiling. Rethread.
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM

The other thing that I've found with mine is to make sure the FMQ foot is set so it just skims the surface of the quilt. If it's too high you will get skipped stitches and probably breakages. I usually use any thread in mine without too many hassles...apart from some No 12 Gutermann Sulky, which I picked up by mistake - that kept breaking. I changed to No 30 and it was fine.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Try looking this site www.daystyledesign.com. I found it lst night. she had some good advise. At least I thought so.