Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: English paper piecing- prewash fabric?

What would happen if I didn't prewash? I'm already on the road with very little access to a washer and dryer. I bought 3-1 yard cuts of fabric and am trying my first epp and doing a grandmotgers flower garden. I bought all the supplies I need and would love to get started. If I don't prewash, will it end up looking terrible?

Power Poster
    Depends on who you ask!

Are you in a RV type of vehicle? Or just in a car with no "facilities"?

On a bus. We are on tour playing concerts(military band). We stay in hotels so I could wash if I needed to, but I was just about to cut the pieces as I'm excited to start and thought I might better get some advice first:)

Nothing will happen if you don't pre-wash. Pre-washing is a personal preference, many pre-wash because they are sensitive to the chemicals used to finish the fabric. So the choice is yours. Happy quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl
    What would happen if I didn't prewash? I'm already on the road with very little access to a washer and dryer. I bought 3-1 yard cuts of fabric and am trying my first epp and doing a grandmotgers flower garden. I bought all the supplies I need and would love to get started. If I don't prewash, will it end up looking terrible?
    If you purchased light fabrics then they probably will be o.k. but dark fabrics always risk bleeding if not prewashed. Testing them would be a good idea.

Blog Entries
    I seldom pre-wash ANYTHING. I have not had any trouble regarding shrinkage. When I wash the quilt after its complete, I toss in a color catcher or two with it and they absorb any excess color that comes out.

I'm sewing a few projects by hand and none of the fabric was pre-washed.

Power Poster
    You could soak the fabrics in hot water in the sink - rinse them out - roll them in a towel to soak up some of the moisture - and hand them on the shower rod to dry overnight.

This is what I would do.

lots of people make fabulous quilts-and never pre-wash anything- lots of others prewash everything- and insist if you don't your quilt will somehow be ruined-
    pre-washing is a personal choice- reason to prewash are basically--
    to remove chemicals/sizing
    to pre-shrink
    or to make sure something will not bleed-
    so if you are not worried about your fabrics bleeding- the (stiffness) of the fabrics from the sizing does not bother you don't worry about it- your quilt will turn out just fine-
    my grandma's flower garden probably contained an equal amount of pre-washed and not prewashed fabrics- it came out fine- it launders fine- there are no issues with it- it did not matter that some fabrics were and some were not- except for that one purple that ran a little bit the first time it was all washed as a finished quilt-

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always wash before using..BUT if you can't then at least TEST them to see if they will bleed! Remove the selvages with about 1" of fabric from one side of the fabric, place in a cup of hot water and see what happens..if any bleeding...then you need to wash it...

Thanks I appreciate all the advice.I will test it tonight.