Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English paper piecing vs.paper piecing >

English paper piecing vs.paper piecing

English paper piecing vs.paper piecing

Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 336
Default English paper piecing vs.paper piecing

Is it same thing? I see it referred to both ways. Thanks!
molly oldham is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
crashnquilt's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lebanon, Missouri
Posts: 602

English paper piecing is done by hand, regular paper piecing is done by machine
crashnquilt is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,235

Here's a site with a definition of both. They are quite different techniques:
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,131

crashnquilt is correct. They are very different. PP done by machine is sewn on a DSM with your pattern printed on a piece of paper with your sewing lines. You do what is know as flip and sew. I make my mug rugs using this technique. (1st+2nd photo)

Usually hexagons are used with English paper piecing when you take a hexagon cut from stiff paper and gather up the edges of the fabric around the paper template that is then later removed when all 6 sides have been attached to other hexagons. This is what I have been working on. (3rd photo)
Attached Thumbnails flying-geese-pp.jpg   geese-xmas-candy.jpg   hex-layout-1.jpg  
ManiacQuilter2 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Anne T
05-27-2010 02:50 PM
08-29-2009 11:05 AM
07-24-2008 12:13 PM
Links and Resources
03-31-2008 07:17 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.