Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging a Bargello pattern? >

Enlarging a Bargello pattern?

Enlarging a Bargello pattern?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Many tutorials on enlarging a bargello and cutting your strips from yardage.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:39 AM

I have a UFO Bargello and the advice I rec'd from the designer to make a wall hanging size into a lap quilt size was to make my strip sets a little wider than the pattern calls for which will add length. To add width, I think I would suggest making to top the size of your pattern ... then adding strips on each side adjusting your strips to follow the pattern. What I'm trying to say (not very well) is ... on the left side of quilt top to add a row start with the color of your second block from the 1st row. Do the same on the right side with whatever the second clolor is on the last row. Do this until you get your desired width. Does that make any sense?

I guess too it depends on which Bargello pattern you are using really.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I haven't made a Bargello quilt yet, however, it's on my Roundtoit List. I would think that using 2 jelly rolls would make the quilt as large as you want it.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM

I have made quite a few bargello quilts, I enlarge mine when needed by using graph paper and drawing the next row out, then the next and so forth, It does take time but I know where I am going this way. I can see the center is cut smaller so stay with the given measurements all the way, then at the end of the pattern you may want to go a little wider as the pattern you have now states. The only problem I would be concerned about is the next color on the width because it is a jelly roll. If I am not mistaken, (which I could be because I haven't studied the pattern ) The length should just be adding more and the stepping out of the colors. I may not have helped but it has worked for me different times. Good luck.