Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entering a quilt show--why?  Worries? >

Entering a quilt show--why? Worries?

Entering a quilt show--why? Worries?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM

The local guild is having a quilt show in April. When they had them in a church we used to attend, I put some stuff in once or twice. But, now I worry about stuff happening to the quilts... and all those forms and basting forms to the quilts and pillowcases they go in for transport... just seems like a lot of trouble.

The quilts can be judged if one wants... what does that entail?

I'm swaying 40% not doing it--just going to take photos to show all of you what's there. :wink:

Why do you put your pieces in a show?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM

I've entered a local quilt show a couple of times. It was fun and educational. There were three judges who gave you written feed-back on your entry: what they liked or didn't, color selection, construction, etc. I thought this was good because I don't know anyone else who quilts and could be honest about my work. I wouldn't enter right now cause I'm just learning machine quilting and they'd think a first grader did it LOL.
For this show we delivered and picked up our quilts. I'm not sure how I'd feel about mailing it somewhere and then waiting to get it back.
Your work is beautiful Karla-enter something. Even if you don't win a prize it's nice to get feed-back or validation of your talent. Good luck-let us know what you decide.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM

I think you ought to enter something. You have some gorgeous quilts that you have made and I'm sure that others would love to see them.
That said, we have a guild quilt show coming up the first weekend in May and I am not entering. We have a guild of over 300 people and there will be plenty of gorgeous quilts made by folks that have quilted much longer than I have. Many of them have a couple of the other ladies do them up on the Long-arms, I have quilted all of my own and the quilting is not very good. I have not desire, at this point, to submit my quilts to their scrutiny.
It is so much easier to tell others they should submit their quilts than it is to tell myself the same thing. lol
Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM

I've entered two contests. The first was a juried show and I was dumbfounded that two of my quilts were accepted. I didn't win anything, but the feedback from the judges was great. I had no idea what all they looked at. It was truly a learning experience.
Last year, I entered a show and won "Best Wall Hanging" and "Best Machine Quilted," one of the proudest days of my life. I admit I was, and still am, very proud. It's one thing for people I know to compliment my work, they love me!
It's a different feeling all together when a total stranger validates your work.
Enter everything you can. It's a blast and I guarantee you'll learn from the experience.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM

I use to enter my quilts in our local quilt show, but the security was just horrible. I went the morning after the show to pick up my quilt and they had all of the quilts folded, lying on a bench and no one anywhere around. The door was open to the public. I could have taken as many quilts as I could carry. I spoke to one of the women in charge about it and she just brushed it off and said that is how we always do it. I will never enter another quilt in that show.If you do decide to enter, be sure to ask about the security.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM

I have entered our local quilt show, put on by our guild. It was not judged. I am sure being judged would be a huge learning experience, as long as they are gentle!! Our quild is very careful with the security of the quilts, but I know there was a problem a while back with our county fair and the way they handled the quilts entered, our quild members quit entering quilts in it because of that. They(the fair board) also had judges who didn't know anything about quilting. Hopefully that has changed.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Well, I've never put my stuff in any kind of a juried show, but I did send two of my quilts to a show in Ohio. It was to show local work. One quilt was made by my gr-grandmother for my grandparents wedding (1932) and the other was Grandpa's quilt, with the photos of relatives, all of whom were local. I had them appraised and mailed them off. That being said, I knew the person who organized the show, and I mailed the quilts directly to him, and he back to me.

I think you should enter two: The floral watercolor and the triple Irish chain. In my never-to-be-humble opinion! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM

gaigai! I'm glad you replied. I was thinking of emailing you to ask when you'd be ready for me to send the floral your way--and if you'd be willing to wait for it to be judged. What timing!! :-D Another funny thing is you mentioning the Triple--just got it back from the quilter's today! And Kayak on the Lake! I love them. Once I have trimmed them up and taken pics I'll post. This show has no cost for up to five quilts to be judged...and all have to have been made after 2000, so there's no problem there. If I do it, I might as well enter five... IF I go through with it, I was thinking the Fall Log Cabin, Garden Path, Barn quilt, the Floral, and maybe Kayak. I didn't even consider the Triple because it's so traditional. Or is that a good choice?

One thing I need clarified is on the form it says "To be eligible for Best of Show award, the piece must be completely designed/created by one person, it cannot be a kit quilt." To me that means someone created a whole new pattern. Or am I incorrect? Also, I wonder if it means if needs to be quilted by the quilt maker, too?

I can email the person in charge to make sure I understand.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Karla, I think as far as the creation thing goes, that it means that you can't use a kit or a pattern you bought. But the log cabin is and the other designs are in the public domain, and you envisioned the final product and bought the fabrics, rather than use a kit. So you should be good.

Please do enter the floral log cabin. I hope to have all the payments done by the end of the month, but I DO want you to enter it in the show, so you should keep it and be listed as the owner. I'm betting it's a real winner!

And I LOVE the triple chain. I think that is so beautiful it deserves to be shown, but it is completely up to you which five you choose. Go for it!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:26 PM

I've enter in our local quilt show every year. It's fun. I even got some ribbons.