Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eq 5? >

Eq 5?

Eq 5?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:54 AM

Default Eq 5?

I would love to have a basic quilt design program....I am a bit computer-challenged, so nothing complicated. I think EQ 7 would be overkill for what I will actually do with a software program....there are several EQ5's available-used-on amazon for under $30......will I regret purchasing this version? Are there other programs you love? Thanks so much!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 AM

I have EQ5. You will probably do just fine with version 5 to start off with. I think it's a relatively complicated program but only because of it's extensive abilities. I can manage with it just fine for the most part. I've not used other quilt design software so can't really offer an opinion on any others being easier/harder to use. But if your budget is not bothered by putting out $30 and not really utilizing the software, I would say go for it. I'm sure others will be by shortly to offer opinions on other design programs.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I love my EQ5 and the price you found is terrific. There's not much that I've wanted to do that I feel I would benefit to an upgrade to EQ7. Just go through all of the lessons in the book and you should be able to navigate it all. If you get stuck or frustrated, the support on the Electric Quilt website is wonderful.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 AM

I couldn't figure out EQ5 by myself. I upgraded to EQ6 and EQ7, and then their tutorials made sense, and I could use the program. I still don't use it much, though. I could make much better use of it.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:16 AM

I don't know about EQ5, but EQ6 has security features which limit the number of installs you can do (3). I'd be very leary of buying used over the internet for that reason - what guarantee do you have that there are keys left for it? But perhaps EQ5 being older doesn't have that security level - I don't know for sure.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 AM

I bought a used copy of EQ5. I found working with the drawing tools easy, but the way it saves and opens stuff was confusing. If I want to be really accurate with measurements, I use Illustrator.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:43 AM

I was gifted with EQ6 because my quilt, journal, and 'toid tins were in the Dear Jane EQ program.

I found with the books I could get into the basics, but I didn't use it often enough to remember it from time to time. Even today, some years later, I can't think of any real reason to use the program. I design my quilts on my working wall and think they are far more interesting than what software might suggest.

I too would be leary of the reinstalls being used up. Ask the seller for the numbers, then ask the folks at EQ, and then you'll have a paper(cyber) trail if there is something wrong with the program.

EQ website has massive information and an active forum if you decide to get any of the versions.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-13-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I started with EQ6 and upgraded to EQ7. I also purchased the Dear Jane software, which is based on EQ5. There was a significant user interface improvement between EQ5 and EQ6. I wouldn't consider going back to EQ5, but for the cost savings I think EQ5 would be a stepping stone to decide whether you like using software to help you in quilt design. If you like it, just be aware that EQ7 has many more features and is much easier to use.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 AM

You might want to check Amazon for the EQ books. EQ Getting Started and others. Sorry but I forget the names. I used the books with my old EQ and they were just great since there were no tutorials on that version.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

My first program was EQ3 which I upgrade to EQ4. I finally upgraded to EQ5 which I absolute love. I am just finishing making a bunch of mug rugs for my new neighbors. I used a book which contained a variety of blocks that were 9". I converted all the blocks to 6". It just took a moment to draw the block out, color and save it. Then I could either print out a rotary cutter sheet or a paper piecing layout. I scan these items so you can see what EQ created. I could have taken the blocks and put them into a quilt layout. Weezy rider is correct. I thought it was because of Windows XL, but sometimes you need to hunt down the location or file name you want the project to be saved as.

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I bought a used copy of EQ5. I found working with the drawing tools easy, but the way it saves and opens stuff was confusing. If I want to be really accurate with measurements, I use Illustrator.
But there are some of us on the board that would assist you getting familiar with the program. Make sure that the program you buy comes with all the accessories. One is the CD. Second is the Cookbook with step by step instructions and the third is a manual with the software ID. You need that ID in order to register the software with Electric Quilt. The license can be permanently transferred to another individual.
Attached Thumbnails pq-rotary-cutting.jpg   pq-paper-piece.jpg   praire-queen.jpg