Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ 5 ?? >

EQ 5 ??

EQ 5 ??

Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM

I am new to using my EQ5. I have managed to get through designing a block and to the part of preivewing the print out of the rotary chart for cutting blocks. The patches show that I will
be cutting a square on the diagonal for quarter square triangles and that I need four pieces. If I were to use the one cut square for the four sides of an on point square, they are not big enough to fit the center square, did I do something wrong? It appears to be 1/8 inch too small. Can any one help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Can you tell us the dimension of the square that EQ5 told you to cut for your triangles? And the the size of the square you are trying to set on point?
If I am understanding you correctly you don't feel that the triangles cut from the square will be enough to set a particular square on point, is this right?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Candi,
my center square was to be cut at 1 3/4 and the square for the 1/4 square triangles was to be cut at 2.5 inches.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

If your center square is cut at 1.75", the finished size is 1.25 inches. To make four 1/4 square triangles to fit the 1.25 inch sides, you would add 1.25 inches to the finished size, so that would be 2.5 inches. If I understand your problem correctly, then the instructions from EQ5 are correct. You are probably not sewing a scant 1/4 inch seam.

There is another problem here (again if I'm understanding correctly - which I may not be!) If you are attempting to put triangles all around a center square, then you probably shouldn't be using quarter square triangles, but should consider using HST's instead, so that the outside edges of the finished square will be on the straight of grain.

Adding triangles to each side of a center square (and winding up with a nice square block) is not as easy as it sounds. You could try paper piecing that part of the block. Some quilters make their QST's and HST's from larger squares and cut them down after attaching them.

It might help if you show us the block you are trying to piece. Sometimes there's an easier way...

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:10 AM

Thank you for the clarification, Dunster, don't know why I was
thinking 1/4sq triangles, you are exactly right. Must have been
one of those senior moments.