Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about washing quilt - is thickness a problem? >

Question about washing quilt - is thickness a problem?

Question about washing quilt - is thickness a problem?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Hi!

I made a 9 layer quilt. First three(or 4 layers) were a quilt as you go block that I put into a top. I'd bought 64 of these from ebay a while ago, they are zigged on in a crazy quilt fashion, so all 3 or 4 layers are secure. The next 3 layers is a pre quilted piece of cloth. Next layer is a 6 oz poly batt. Final layer is a fleece.

I quilted around 4-5 inches apart on it, just basic squares randomly with some fm quilting(I tried and failed, just too thick)

When I took it to my quilting group, she said that it would not wash well, but would bunch up and be a big mess. Is that true? I'm think that it might not, on account of the blocks and prequilted fabric being secured. Then again, perhaps not. I am hoping to sell it, so this info is badly needed. It's 59 square.

Thank you so much,
EMily
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Why so many layers? I would also worry about what will happen when it's washed, with the quilting so far apart, and it could take forever to dry, but you could try and see what happens before you sell it.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
Why so many layers?
I wondered the same thing.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I would worry about the weight of the quilt when wet in the washer tearing out seams... that is going to be one heavy quilt...
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

Personally, I wouln't even try to wash and dry it in a home machine.....I might, repeat, might try a big commerical machine at a laundry mat but like otheres who have replied, I wonder what will happen to it in the machine. I doubt that the stitches will hold up with the aggitation in the washer and the dryer will take forever with the thickness.

If you do sell it, I would strongley suggest that it be sold as DECORATIVE only and NOT to be laundred. JMO

jodi in leavenworth
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM

I always go to the same drycleaner. In the late 70's I had taken a down jacket to be cleaned. They had drycleaned it and it made me sick before I was out the door. I have asthma and couldn't deal with the smell. The owner was there and took it back and washed it for me. I still go there and get my down stuff washed, and I appreciate the extra service. I would take it to a drycleaner and see if they could wash and dry it. :idea: :idea:
Old 12-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Main reason for so many layers is I was cold when I made it ;) It is very toasty, and perfect for cold winter nights. If I did some more quilting, and made it closer together, would that help?
I agree about the decorative sign. If all else fails, I will use that.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:04 PM

why did you use all those layers?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Photos please.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:00 AM

I have one of these quilts(queen). I wash mind only once a year.When I wash I put it on ex-large,cold water,1 cup baking soda(no soap). To dry I put in my dryer with 10 tennis balls. Dry Med heat.The tennis balls stop the batting and down from balling up. I have had my quilt for 15 years and have never had a problem with washing.If you do not want to do this I would take it to a dry cleaners.