Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
meant2be >

meant2be

meant2be

Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM

I want to make my 5 month old great grandson a quilt so he can lay on the floor, therefore, I want it nice and thick. Is there an extra thick batting or do I just use layers of some batting? If it is layers, what should I use?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

A biscuit quilt would be nice and thick :D:D:D
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 PM

There are a number of issues to be addressed. If he is that young, there will probably be lots of "accidents" that require the quilt to be washed. If you put lots of batting it will take forever to dry. Maybe make a nice quilt and give the mom an old blanket to put down first so it is soft. For my greatnephew that's what I did. :idea: :idea: :lol:
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 PM

I know you want him to be comfortable, that is just our nature. He needs something flat until he is able to raise his head by himself. Maybe consider making him one low loft for now and a thicker one for a year or so. I don't remember how old they are when they can hold their head up and roll over.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by meant2be
I want to make my 5 month old great grandson a quilt so he can lay on the floor, therefore, I want it nice and thick. Is there an extra thick batting or do I just use layers of some batting? If it is layers, what should I use?
Many years ago I made a floor quilt for my son and could not afford to buy batting so cut up an old mattress pad. It worked wonderfully. I found it stored away later and we used it as a bath mat. Worked well, washed up great. The last years it became a cat mat, seemed like the cats prefered it over other blankets!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM

You can buy high loft batting, but it's harder to quilt with it. It can be done. I made my son's college quilt with several high loft batts stacked and was able to quilt it in a large pattern - stitch in ditch around the squares in an Amish Sunshine and Shadows. It had to be cozy to study on.

Two years ago I made my then new granddaughter a two layer fleece floor blanket. I think her mother folded it for a floor blanket when the baby was little, then used it singly as she got older. I have a request for one for the new baby, so it must have worked.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I made my son a quilt...well I don't know if it qualifies as a quilt. I had put about a yard of fabric on the long arm and was just practicing clouds and stars on it. It turned out really cute, so I added baby and his name into it in the quilting. So when I was giving him his tummy time, I'd put him on that. It keeps all the drool and the little bit of spit up off the carpet. I used warm and natural batting and it was fine. Washed it almost everyday for almost a year. Now it just sits in the closet because it's not really big enough for a blanket, he's 3 now.

See...he loved it!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138839[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138834.jpe  
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Oooo, I just wanna tickle his little tummy, he's so cute!

Jan in VA
Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM

I made a floor quilt for my young grandchildren and put in a double layer of "warm and natural" cotton batting. I didn't notice a big difference when I was machine quilting it and it is nice and thick for the floor. I did have to add 1/2 inch to the binding because it was thicker.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Oooo, I just wanna tickle his little tummy, he's so cute!

Jan in VA
lol, he was such a little cutie, now he's a little monster at times....still cute though!!!