Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: USPS First Class Letter Thickness Tester

  1. #1
    Senior Member heyjami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    462
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have created a visio with a box that can be cut out (once you print out this pdf on cardstock or just glue paper to a cardstock holder).

    I saw that they use a tool just like this in the post office to test our letters. If it doesn't fly through, they ask for more postage! It fails as a letter and needs Package rate postage (roughly double!).

    Many of us send blocks in the mail and I'm am so irritated at how many have come back to me lately.

    I hope this helps you! Let me know if there is a way to improve the instructions and I'll edit it with your input!

    Thanks, Jami

    Cut out Bolded Box in this PDF to test your envelopes

  2. #2
    Senior Member VickyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    548
    Thank you! This is definitely an issue these days.

  3. #3
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks and your download opened up

    thank you!

  4. #4
    Senior Member bobbie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    862
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,480
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    My post office gave me one the the boards that has all the slots & measurement rules. I did not even have to ask.

  7. #7
    Super Member fayzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Destin, Fl
    Posts
    1,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    My post office gave me one the the boards that has all the slots & measurement rules. I did not even have to ask.
    Mine too!

  8. #8
    Senior Member heyjami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    462
    Blog Entries
    3
    I wish my post office gave them out!

  9. #9
    hmross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chillicothe, OH
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjami
    I wish my post office gave them out!
    Yeah same here. This will definitely be helpful as my local post office had told me maybe I can get it off thier site and well, nope. I mean if I had to pay for that thing I would have. What would it have hurt them to sell those things to people

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    555
    You can get 4 pieces of copy paper in one envelope without having to pay extra postage.

    Retired-USPS

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Absecon N.J.
    Posts
    248
    Thank you so much,my DH is always putting extra stamps on letters he thinks are "too heavy". Now I'll have some extra loot for fabric!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member suziehammond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    396
    Thanks-- being overseas this helps me a lot when others mail to me.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    366
    Thank you so much. Great tool, I will use often.

  14. #14
    Super Member Iamquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    3
    When I retired from my job my boss gave me the little postage scale so I can test my envelopes at home and know how much postage to put.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Learner747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    624
    Blog Entries
    4
    All post offices have these boards and will give them out upon request. That is why they were printed - for the customer. BTW, they are free. (Also a retired postal employee.)

  16. #16
    Super Member thrums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    25 yrs in TN; now back home in MI
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjami
    I have created a visio with a box that can be cut out (once you print out this pdf on cardstock or just glue paper to a cardstock holder).

    I saw that they use a tool just like this in the post office to test our letters. If it doesn't fly through, they ask for more postage! It fails as a letter and needs Package rate postage (roughly double!).

    Many of us send blocks in the mail and I'm am so irritated at how many have come back to me lately.

    I hope this helps you! Let me know if there is a way to improve the instructions and I'll edit it with your input!

    Thanks, Jami
    Thanks Jami! It reminds me of the test for caving. If you can fit through this box you can go. :)

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NYS Finger Lakes Region
    Posts
    1,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    I never know how much extra postage to add. Thanks.

  18. #18
    Super Member caspharm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,911
    Thank you!

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjami
    I have created a visio with a box that can be cut out (once you print out this pdf on cardstock or just glue paper to a cardstock holder).

    I saw that they use a tool just like this in the post office to test our letters. If it doesn't fly through, they ask for more postage! It fails as a letter and needs Package rate postage (roughly double!).

    Many of us send blocks in the mail and I'm am so irritated at how many have come back to me lately.

    I hope this helps you! Let me know if there is a way to improve the instructions and I'll edit it with your input!

    Thanks, Jami
    I asked at the PO and they gave me one of theirs...and yes, it has to pass through that slot without touching anywhere..or it gets DOUBLE postage...The last lot of 35 blocks I sent out cost me nearly $40! When you do that twice for one swap you just spent all the money you would use for a backing & batting!
    The USPS is killing swaps for sure! At least the 1 on 1 swaps...more swaps need to be centralized..it would be MUCH cheaper!

  20. #20
    Super Member reeskylr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Castle Rock, Washington State
    Posts
    1,972
    Blog Entries
    14
    Yeah, the swaps are really hard on the pocket book. Especially the big ones.

    I found that out the hard way too. I had them coming back to me and then found out that most needed hand stamped, so that is .64 cents.

    If it doesn't fit in the slot or has bumps, then it goes as a small package at a $1.17. Unfortunately, doing a lot of stitching blocks makes for bumps.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by reeskylr
    Yeah, the swaps are really hard on the pocket book. Especially the big ones.

    I found that out the hard way too. I had them coming back to me and then found out that most needed hand stamped, so that is .64 cents.

    If it doesn't fit in the slot or has bumps, then it goes as a small package at a $1.17. Unfortunately, doing a lot of stitching blocks makes for bumps.
    I know...this is my last time to do a swap of blocks that is NOT centralized...it is just too dang expensive now!

  22. #22
    Senior Member debs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Riesel, TX ( HOT )
    Posts
    541
    Thank you, my postmistress must have put one letter I sent with 3 fat qrts, a note & a foam sticky thru at least ten times, couldn't decide if the 2 inch X 1 inch foam sticky would prevent it from passing.
    So hopefully they all went the entire trip!

    This will definitely help me with things I send. Thanks

  23. #23
    Senior Member heyjami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    462
    Blog Entries
    3
    I love my postage scale too - but it doesn't help you with the thickness rule! I found that out the hard way and decided to do something about it for my quilting friends.

    I recently made some quilted postcards for a swap and didn't have this and I literally crossed my fingers as I tossed them into the mail bin. After that, I created this tool for myself.




    Quote Originally Posted by Iamquilter
    When I retired from my job my boss gave me the little postage scale so I can test my envelopes at home and know how much postage to put.

  24. #24
    Senior Member heyjami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    462
    Blog Entries
    3
    It's the individual swaps that made me really find a way to get my block to my partner for 44 cents. :-)

    That's how I learned to copy others and use the flat fold, saran wrap cover, and place it in a Costco card envelope (those huge max size heavy duty envelopes). Once in awhile my block is heavier than normal and I have to pay 64 cents. But most of them go for 44 cents.

    88-108 cents round trip for F8 and block makes a 36 block exchange run around $32-36. Not too bad for 36 gorgeous blocks and the fun and excitement of so much quilting mail! ;-)

    I'll definitely keep doing them. Love them!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by reeskylr
    Yeah, the swaps are really hard on the pocket book. Especially the big ones.

    I found that out the hard way too. I had them coming back to me and then found out that most needed hand stamped, so that is .64 cents.

    If it doesn't fit in the slot or has bumps, then it goes as a small package at a $1.17. Unfortunately, doing a lot of stitching blocks makes for bumps.
    I know...this is my last time to do a swap of blocks that is NOT centralized...it is just too dang expensive now!

  25. #25
    Senior Member heyjami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    462
    Blog Entries
    3
    I've been to 4 of my local post offices. I've asked them all about that cardboard slot and they told me they didn't know where to get one.

    I've had them send back packages asking for additional postage but when I take them into the office I ask them why and they can't tell me why and they accept it with the original postage.

    I'm very frustrated with my post offices. It seems like they don't even know their own rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.