Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ 5 vs EQ 6 >

EQ 5 vs EQ 6

EQ 5 vs EQ 6

Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM

I have asked for EQ 5 or 6 for Christmas I don't think I will use it a great deal. but was wondering if EQ 6 was really worth the extra bucks. I mostly want to see how something will look before I start cutting or to make templates from a picture in a magazine for which no temeplates or source is given. Most of my sewing is laready prepared patterns, but every now and then I want something seen only in my head and have no idea as to how it would look, or yardage, etc.

Opinions please!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM

I was curious whether I would like the EQ6 and it does seem costly.
However, I love it! I think the lessons are great, the manual is easy to read and understand.
I am by no means an expert and haven't yet found all that this can do!
Kirsten
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

For what you are describing, EQ5 would do all that you want. And with that program, you can download it more times if you have computer problems, then what EQ6 allows.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Plus, if you find out you do use it a lot, you can always upgrade to EQ6 :wink:
Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 AM
JJs
Banned

I have both - believe it or not, I got 6 first - and it really po'd me to find out that you are only allowed 4 installs of this very expensive program that YOU pay $$$$ for.....
I've already used two installs (bought a new computer)
but I also bought 5 to use on my laptop.. oh yea, you also HAVE to have internet access to even install 6...

5 does exactly what you want to do - I love it for that - and the new fabric of the month files work for both 5 and 6 (make sure you go get those)...
If I had gotten 5 first I wouldn't have upgraded...

and before somebody smugly says 'you knew it only had four installs before you bought it' - no I did NOT - I ordered it from JoAnns online (best price) and it does not say that - it does say it on the box - which of course, I saw when I got the box.....
I love it for just what you said - trying this, that or the other thing before cutting fabric, etc...
you will be happy with 5, if you don't care about the restrictions (we are all thieves doncha know) of 6, then it will do also..
Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 AM

I use my EQ6 a lot. You can design your own quilt using the blocks available or you can see a quilt, take a picture & then recreate by designing your own blocks. It's great for making borders that are not your normal strips of fabric. You can print paper piecing templates. You can resize blocks. You name it, you can do it. All I can say is I love it. There is one thing I'm not crazy about & I can't believe they haven't addressed this issue... you can print the cutting instruction for each block in your quilt but it doesn't give you an entire, one shot, quilt cutting instructions if you know what I mean. I wonder if there is a quilt program out there that does....
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone for responding. I knew from someone else's blog about the downloading limit for EQ 6 and that worried me a tad. I figure if you buy it, it shouldn't matter how many times you install it. I see photos in magazine that are 10 years old or older, ( I NEVER throw out my old magazines) and want to make that quilt. Just recently I found a mag 2 years old and saw a quilt draped on a rocking chair. I want to make the quilt. I wrote the magazine, but they never responded. I have no idea how much fabric to buy or what size the pieces should be. I am thinking that EQ 5 would work for me. Hopefully Santa will hear me and get it for my stocking!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I think you will be very happy with it Vicki!!! I bet you will find it in your stocking, you HAVE been a good girl, haven't you??? :D:D:D
Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Keep us posted which one you get
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I think you will be very happy with it Vicki!!! I bet you will find it in your stocking, you HAVE been a good girl, haven't you??? :D:D:D
The very best!
Santa (Hubby) had better bring it or he won't be at the North Pole living it up, he will be in my garage freezing! LOL Hubby always waits until the last minute and I always get my shopping done by Thanksgiving.