Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
erasing chalk marks >

erasing chalk marks

erasing chalk marks

Old 03-31-2016, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I have never had a problem with white chalk. I brush at it a bit with the side of my hand. Will not use colored chalk because I tried blue once and it was awful.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:50 PM

This may be helpful......
http://www.ehow.com/how_8515887_remo...ors-chalk.html

Years ago, I would use baby powder on an oily spot to get rid of it. This always worked well. Then for some spots I have used 409. Never have tried to get colored chalk out. I hope you let us know what finally worked.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 PM

I ordered white tailor chalk. On the site it stated it was removable with the iron. I marked a black piece of fabric and the put the iron to it. Every bit of marking came out. I had used a yellow tailor chalk on a tote i was making and was unable to remove the mark. I washed it and it remained. I Guess we have to read the desciption before buying.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 PM

If you mix white powder with your dark colors it will help with chalk marks.
Better still, use cinnamon to mark white fabric, it will wash out.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM

I never use colored chalk for the same reasons. But the purple (if quilting right away) or the blue (washes away with a spritz of water) work well in the white areas.

If you think the colored chalk is leaving a stain because of an oil in it, you might dust some corn starch on it and use a Q-tip to rub it in and get out by shaking it. I've also used a little oil release on a Q-tip and dab it on the stain when I've had some machine oil on the quilt.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:40 PM

So sorry for your problem. I've used white chalk on black which brushed off as I machined. For white fabric I try to eyeball design or limited marking with a frixion pen.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:05 AM

I know that lots of people use the Frixion pens but I am concerned about them as some have said that they can leave shadows after washing and that sometimes the lines return when quilts are subjected to cold. I have had good luck with Crayola brand washable markers. They have always washed out completely. I am careful about what colors I use-just in case. I don't use red or yellow.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 AM

Thanks to warnings I've seen from others on this board I never use the colored chalks. For colored fabric I use either white chalk/Chacopel thing or a sliver of soap. For white fabric I prefer to use one of those air vanishing purple pens-- you have to quilt right away with these if you live in a humid area since that makes them vanish more quickly than they are supposed to. I get around this problem by marking only a portion of my quilt at a time if I'm doing ruler work. If I need marks to help remind me where I am when just FMQing (not using rulers) on a larger quilt then I use safety pins to help me stay oriented instead of marking.

If if you do find something that will get out the marks left by colored chalks please post.

Rob
Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM

I have found that LOC (Amway product) does a marvelous job removing colored chalk. Just a bit on a rag, gently rubbed over the area, followed by fresh water applied the same way.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:44 AM

No problem in using white chalk, but I learned the hard way to avoid colored chalk, especially yellow. The ultra washable Crayola markers do come off....be sure to read the instructions.