Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever dream of designing your own.. >

Ever dream of designing your own..

Ever dream of designing your own..

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Ever dream of designing your own..

dream sewing studio, play room? If money was no object, what would your room look like? I day dream of this, and I imagine French doors opening to a very large room, spacious, a huge island or two with drop in machines (of course they would have to accommodate my old machines) , my big board ironing board would be in front and center (my dh made for me) at the far end a wall of book shelves, floor to ceiling, tucked around the corner a bathroom. a couple of chairs and love seat, all comfy and inviting with a tv in the corner and a little kitchenette. Big spacious windows with generous lightening. Hardwood floors with perhaps some area rugs. Generous closets to hold my quilts and shelves for my current projects. Gosh, I would never come out, LOL.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 PM

That sounds nice. I think everyone dreams of having their perfect studio
Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 PM

I dream of having a space bigger than 9 x 10 that can hold all my stuff instead of having it stored in the spare bedroom and garage!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

I now have a very nice sewing room. For some things I still have to use my glass topped dining table. Just the two of us and no visitors.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 AM

While I have limitations, space etc, we are kind of about to design a dream space. We are downsizing to a condo in the next few years. The 'guest' room will be my sewing space. We are going to meet with a Murphy bed designer/salesperson in July to see what they can offer us. I'm hoping to use all of the storage on either side of the bed for my totes and supplies. It is exciting! One thing I'm sure of is I want the space to be attractive and easy to convert to guest space when needed. My sewing space now is a hot mess. Mostly due to poor storage and too much muddled up stuff.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My dream space has been designed in one of my graph paper pads. It's about 30' x 30' with windows on 2 sides and a french door opening onto a flagstone, shaded patio where I can hand quilt at the frame or in a hoop.

Along the rear wall and halfway down one side wall is a half bath, small laundry room, closet for batting storage, built-in cupboards for fabric storage, drawers for fat quarters/strips, tools, notions, miscellaneous stuff, books and a large 8' x 10' design wall. Lighting is florescent full spectrum bulbs over each station and at the design wall. I want it to look like a sunny day at the beach in my studio!

In the middle of the room are large work surfaces with shelving and drawers underneath (everything works "to the floor" like Mary Ellen Hopkins told me to do years ago). I would cut, baste, sort, design and sometimes press on these surfaces.

There is a pressing surface that is wide enough to iron at least 54" wide fabric and deep enough to accommodate one yard.

Looking out the windows I have my sewing stations for 2 machines. Thread cabinets and special small drawers for necessary notions are beside me between the windows within reaching distance.

I have tried to get as much as possible behind doors or in drawers because currently I feel like everything except the fabric sits out, is in the way, and is messy. A confusing surrounding inhibits my creativity I've found.

I wonder if I'll ever have this glorious space?

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 06-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 PM

IF money were no object, I would expand my current space by taking down two walls; add more glass to the back walls....and then hire a day-time maid to clean it! I am the biggest slob in the world, even more so when in the midst of a creative frenzy!