View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My dream space has been designed in one of my graph paper pads. It's about 30' x 30' with windows on 2 sides and a french door opening onto a flagstone, shaded patio where I can hand quilt at the frame or in a hoop.

Along the rear wall and halfway down one side wall is a half bath, small laundry room, closet for batting storage, built-in cupboards for fabric storage, drawers for fat quarters/strips, tools, notions, miscellaneous stuff, books and a large 8' x 10' design wall. Lighting is florescent full spectrum bulbs over each station and at the design wall. I want it to look like a sunny day at the beach in my studio!

In the middle of the room are large work surfaces with shelving and drawers underneath (everything works "to the floor" like Mary Ellen Hopkins told me to do years ago). I would cut, baste, sort, design and sometimes press on these surfaces.

There is a pressing surface that is wide enough to iron at least 54" wide fabric and deep enough to accommodate one yard.

Looking out the windows I have my sewing stations for 2 machines. Thread cabinets and special small drawers for necessary notions are beside me between the windows within reaching distance.

I have tried to get as much as possible behind doors or in drawers because currently I feel like everything except the fabric sits out, is in the way, and is messy. A confusing surrounding inhibits my creativity I've found.

I wonder if I'll ever have this glorious space?

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 06-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.