Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Excuse me for being dumb

As a newby, I'm having a little trouble with some of the acronyms. I know BOM, PIGS, MIL, and WIP, but I'm having trouble with some of the others: UFO, dd, for example, and I'm sure there are probably many others I haven't seen yet or that I'm leaving out. I would very much appreciate it if someone would give me a short tutorial on the acronyms commonly used on this site. Any you can think of would be great! Thanks.

UFO unfinished object. Projects you have started but have set aside for a while. I have tons
    DD Dear or Darling Daughter, DS dear son, DH dear Husband Sil, sister or son-in-law, DGD darling grand daughter, DGS dear grand son etc
    HST Half square triangles
    D9P Disappearing nine patch. A pattern many of them have made
    There are a billion more. There is a website somewhere that defines what all these are but I don't know where it is.
    LOL laugh out loud
    ROFL rolling on floor laughing
    LMAO Laughing my A-- off
    Hope this helps a little

for internet acronyms and general web slang, try http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp
    for quilting acronyms try http://quiltinggallery.com/2009/04/2...ters-acronyms/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanbro
    As a newby, I'm having a little trouble with some of the acronyms. I know BOM, PIGS, MIL, and WIP, but I'm having trouble with some of the others: UFO, dd, for example, and I'm sure there are probably many others I haven't seen yet or that I'm leaving out. I would very much appreciate it if someone would give me a short tutorial on the acronyms commonly used on this site. Any you can think of would be great! Thanks.
    No, you aren't dumb, I caught onto quite a few, as a newby, then had to ask about the rest as I went along.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    for internet acronyms and general web slang, try http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp
    for quilting acronyms try http://quiltinggallery.com/2009/04/2...ters-acronyms/
    Thanks to you who have responded so quickly. This website was extremely helpful. Who knew there was an actual acronym lingo specifically for quilting? But not surprising. Now I have printed them off. Thanks again.

Thses are confusing at times, and new ones crop up from time to time.
    I make up my own sometimes, and whether they are right or wrong, they work for me! Don't worry about being "dumb" on this forum. Sometimes I have a brain freeze and what I used to know, is no longer filed in the right place in my brain, and I can't pull it up to use it right now.
    So ask away with out reservations.
    IMHO - in my humble opinion

No, you are not dumb. I had never heard of any of the acronyms used here either!!!!

A couple of more:

LQS----local quilt store
    FMQ---free motion machine quilting, I think

There was one recently that I had to think about as I hadn't come across it before: kwim=know what I mean.

Another for your list, dtms=does this make sense

Not quilting but useful still.

And an FYI (for your information) no one here is dumb----we are just individually paced learners! :lol:

IMHO - In my humble opinion.
    YMMV - Your mileage may vary

Thanks everyone I was wondering about some of these my self.
    Those web Sites help allot.. :D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast